Any way to change my Hindles sound?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDoe8

Reaction score
I've got a full Hindle 4-1 system. I love the way it looks and like the performance as well. Not to mention...i already have it so i don't want to deal with buying/selling. The problem is, it sounds like a quad (4 wheeler) with some loud exhaust on it. I really don't care for the way it sounds. Anybody have any ideas on changing the sound of it? I'm really wanting the v8 sound and this does not have it. I suppose I could pop the rivets off and mess with the packing. I wonder if it's baffled or just has packing in it? It could and probably will be a matter of changing out the muffler completely, which will have to wait. I was just curious if there was anything that could be done. Anyone ever done a cutout? for shits and giggles ;) lol

All the hindles I've heard sounded pretty damn good IMO. I always thought they could use a trim. Take 3-4 inches off of it and it'll be more aggressive sounding.

Perhaps Morley can cut it down and/or find a different baffle for it.

what about doing something like the holeshot silencer insert or something?

I'll take a look at the inside of the muffler today and see how it's arranged. Also, I'll try a makeshift silencer and see how that goes. I just don't want to effect performance at all.

You won't by cutting it. You WILL make it louder and more raw sounding though. Dale Walker makes nothing for it. He used to use the Hindle headers and add his own can on it. My buddy had one and wanted to get a new can for it and Dale told him he had nothing...

Sean could more than help you out.

1st and most importantly YES I did an exhaust cut out on my old 750,stock silent exhaust to balls out,fire ball shooting,ear bleeding strait pipe at the flick of a switch.Most fun I have EVER had with an exhaust.What a hoot.If you really want me to I can dig up some old pictures of it before I sold her.
2nd, the answer is easy but you need to look before you knock it...mine sounded the same way even with dual exhaust,like a fat hunting quad.Take a thick piece of ABS pipe fitting and hammer it onto the tip of you muffler.Throw a self tapping screw into the bottom of it for good measure and ride it for a week.Now it will pop pop pop like a drag bike and within a few days the heat of the exhaust will shrink the pipe JUST enough to seal it completely around the tip of the exhuast.Then everyone will be asking "what kinda pipes are those?"Very different sound and a big bore rumble.You will love it.I included a couple pictures of mine.Wouldnt change the sound if ya paid me to.Sorry the pics arent better...but you can kinda see em.

Attachments

• IMGA0324.JPG
    IMGA0324.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 34
  • p_00113.jpg
    p_00113.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMGA0290.JPG
    IMGA0290.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 43
That is a very interesting solution for sure. One thing I was thinking was making my own silencer of sorts. I did this on my buddies katana and it made a world of difference! Kind of using the same tactics you used, only internally and with metal.

I have the full hindle 4-2-1 and it sounds awesome. Deep, loud, and powerful.

I also have the Hindle "stealth" can - and it's hardly stealthy. At all.

I wonder if perhaps there is a problem with your can - or maybe you just don't like it. But I know mine sounds bad-azz and not like a quad at all.
________
buy silver surfer vaporizer

Last edited:
just revving it sounds good. but under load it kinda gets higher pitched and sounds like a quad lol. It's starting to grow on me. I bet just a little difference would make it perfect.

Just saw you have a 4-2-1. My hindle is a 4-1, so that would equate a big sound difference i'd bet.

I wish I could comment on the sound of it but I can't. I have a brand new never mounted carbon fiber silencer I bought for my 4-1 hindle, but got my hands on some ufo twins before using the hindle. I think it says stealth on it, and it does look incredibly nice. I can't use it and have a little over $200 ish in it. Hoping to get $200 out of it if anybody is looking for one. Not doing me any good siting in the box it came in. Marc. (814-796-6666) or [email protected] . Just a thought...if your carbs are out of synch enough, they can possibly make an odd sound compared to perfectly synched carbs.

Kerker is the only 4-2-1 (unless you have Mark custom make you one). Hindles are 4-1.

Sean

Ahh I see.

I have a 4-1 then :)

I thought it was simply an easy way to say "four to one (4 2 1)

Well it looks like I may be in luck. My buddy has an oval micron muffler on his r6 that he's going to let me try out. The exhaust diameter seemed the same so it should work out. It's a bit bigger of a muffler but may produce the sound i'm looking for! I'll be trying it on tuesday so we'll see how it goes. He also has a leo vince from an older bike that he had that I may try. If it sounds good i'll take some video!

-Mike

I'd like to update my can too.

The one I have it pretty dinged up - although fireballcoatings did a nice polish on it for me.

Well. the Micron pipe sounded IDENTICAL. 100% identical...despite being significantly longer and oval not circular. I was surprised.

The leovince ended up being a different diameter so we rigged it up. It was much quieter and a tad deeper but basically sounded the same as well.

You want a V8 sound? Leave the can off the exhaust!!! That should solve your problem.

Back