Are cobra slip on's cr#p? Help please!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pittnathan

Reaction score
Hi. Got cobra slip ons and a stainless manifold on my bike. I've been told by a reliable source that I could be losing upto 20% of stock power or 25hp by having them. Is there any easy/cheap way of getting it back or is it a case of sacrificing looks for performance and selling them and getting a different system?

Please help! Has anyone had these and changed and noticed big power gains?

Hi again, may I suggest that you peruse the following Forum section: Exhaust
You will find there varying opinions, from those not caring too much about the performance hit, but looking either to change out "ugly stock mufflers" or increase the dB output, and can't afford a full-up so elect for slip-ons; to the other side of the opinion chart where money's no object and, worse than any narcotic addiction, there is a need to appease the Monkey with the best performing, loudest-ass, exhaust their money trees can fund.

Look at the dyno's on our Morleys Muscle website (signature should have a link). Cobra's look cool and suck big time.

Sean

A couple years ago I drove an 85 max that had the cobras, I thought maybe there was something wrong with it because it felt underpowered compared to my stock 86. Looking around on the forums it does appear you get a bit less power out of them... but they sure do sound great!

Look at the dyno's on our Morleys Muscle website (signature should have a link). Cobra's look cool and suck big time.

Sean

I can vouch for that too. My 1995 came with these and was only at 98rwhp with a stage 1 jet kit. They look/sound great, but suck as far as performance go. If you want a cheap slip on that sounds great, go supertrapps! The opens for a full system are wide open to your likings then......

Just my 2 cents here...

Thanks guys, for the last 15 years i thought i had one of the fastest v65 sabres ever made. I out ran a vmax on the hwy 3 times on the top end. It was close but I won every race. You guessed it, he had Cobra slip ons.

Pittnathan's bike has headers and the Cobras this should be much better than just slip-ons correct?

The Cobra's ARE slip-ons. Nothing ever going to make them work better.

Back