Are the air scoops functional?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbk2001

Reaction score
I read a couple of posts on this forum about modifying the air scoops to make them “functional”.

Are the air scoops on the stock bike completely cosmetic?

I read a couple of posts on this forum about modifying the air scoops to make them “functional”.

Are the air scoops on the stock bike completely cosmetic?

On a Gen 1 Vmax they are cosmetic. On a Gen 2 VMax they are somewhat functional, they direct cool (ambient) air into the airbox.

A guy used to make some though do not expect to really get any "Gains". Search any info on "RamAirForVmax" (the FOR might be 4) and hopefully you can still find the old info.

If you cut the internal out then yes they are---ask me how.

I think making them "functional" is not too much of an issue, if you want cooler air going into the airbox. It is not worth trying to make them into a true ram-air system, imo; the layout is all wrong for that.

I have a pair of the Millennium scoops (just the scoop bodies) on mine bought from Rick Bachmann who did the Gen I Ram Air system.
A look on the internet didn't bring up any hits and from what I can remember there wasn't a great deal of benefit.
Also bear in mind that you need to be traveling at illegal speeds before the (slight) benefit is achieved

Also bear in mind that you need to be traveling at illegal speeds before the (slight) benefit is achieved

What illegal speeds would you need to achieve? LOL. In my state, I can cruise illegal speeds for long stretches without seeing a cop anywhere. By the way, I am not interested in ram airing my bike. Just adding a couple cents and hoping for change back.

And for those wondering.....at about 90mph the RPM is around 6000. I try not going beyond that as the Vboost at those speeds sucks that gasoline in a quick hurry. I did a 120mph run when I first got the bike and around 80 miles, the fuel light came on. Thats how fast she drinks at those sustained speeds.

It was some time ago that I had dealings with Mr Bachmann but as far as I can recall the system gave an extra 3 b.h.p.
Not sure at what speed that was but as the ram effect increases with speed it would probably be into three figures.

The web site was http://ramair4vmax.com but hat now returns ' 404 page not found'.

What illegal speeds would you need to achieve? LOL. In my state, I can cruise illegal speeds for long stretches without seeing a cop anywhere. By the way, I am not interested in ram airing my bike. Just adding a couple cents and hoping for change back.

And for those wondering.....at about 90mph the RPM is around 6000. I try not going beyond that as the Vboost at those speeds sucks that gasoline in a quick hurry. I did a 120mph run when I first got the bike and around 80 miles, the fuel light came on. Thats how fast she drinks at those sustained speeds.
Stock carbs, or?

Back