Backfire from right pipe until choke lever is wiggled

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mvortex1

Reaction score
I placed this topic under general because I'm not sure, although I have an idea of where the specific problem lies. I just bought a 2005 VMAX anniversary edition. It has 9000 miles, always garage kept and looks brand new. When I bought it, it ran perfectly without any issues and I decided to buy it within the first 10 minutes. When I got it home, I did the typical once-over and then decided to take it out for an extended ride to get a feel for what it may need going forward in order to be reliable as well as in a state that didn't put the mechanics of it in jeopardy. Everything checked out perfectly, except for the fact that the right exhaust suddenly develops this occasionally popping, definitely a light backfire. It's only from the right pipe so I bring it in, check the carb linkage and then check the plugs - the plugs were finger tight and I mean all of them only finger tight. I pulled them and verified they looked to be in good shape, cleaned them up on the wire wheel, blew them out, light oil and back in but this time finger tight with a 3/8" drive. I figured "that's gotta be it". Nope, still backfires, very lightly but noticeable out the Kerker slip-on. So then I begin adjusting the choke back down a little and pushing it in a bit and wow, the backfire stops. I think I know what it is, but anyone else have any suggestions? I assume that by maneuvering choke linkage the problem probably won't be rectified by a gas treatment. Other than that, the bike runs and rides amazing and I can't believe I finally got one after all these years.

Look and see if the plungers are retracting when the lever is pulled off. They may be sticking slightly.

Thanks, I will need to pull off the air filter assembly and closely look at what theyre doing. I need to pick up some linkage cleaner.

You can see all of what you need without pulling that apart. Just look in from the sides. You'll see the levers on the linkage what it is pulling.

When pushing down and slowly pulling up the choke, the brass pins that slide in and out of the rubber bushings stick a little bit. What is recommended to spray or apply to these in order to free them up a bit?

I like 'Wonder Lube" by Remington. Great stuff.

Did the Original owner mess with the carbs to fit the Kerker? Hope not.

On the plugs I put Anti-Seize on them when installing and there is a blow hole to clean the area around the plugs before removing them so nothing can fall in the plug holes.

The 05 has been a great machine for me, but it is all stock also.

O

This is a great forum, I took a rag and stuffed it around the engine parts I did not want to spray and liberally shot gum cutter for carbs all around the choke pistons. When I got to the right rear, it had some kind of gum crap all over it almost like someone pasted a heavy grease. I cleaned it (externally) the best I could and it moves much more freely. I had a few beers while doing this and not only is it after 10PM but I made a rule never to drink even one drink and mess around with this machine....not at all a good idea. Let's see how we fare in the early morn. Thanks all for your assistance.

Update - I am still getting an annoying backfire from the right Kerker pipe. I've tightened everything down I could find, including the exhaust ends. I ran seafoam at 5oz to a full tank, not finished that yet. Yesterday, I removed the baffles (glasspack) and noticed they ran the packing up about 3/4 of the way up. I started the bike up without the baffles (wow, sounds awesome) and took it for a ride. No backfire, except for one or two pops. I pulled in, put the baffles back in a it started popping like crazy again. The bike runs and cruises really nicely, I'm thinking of getting stage 1 jet kit for it. Does anyone think that's a good idea? Do the carbs come off for that or can I do it by removing the side covers? The reviews are really good for the dyno brand.

Stage 1 can be put in easy enough but most will tell you the performance gain is not worth the effort/expense. I'd buy R-1 brake calipers for the same money and feel I did better for my bike. If you research the carb cleaning procedures of the Peashooter and Shotgun on this forum, I think you will solve your problem but the Seafoam additive may still be at work. Also, I'd just change plugs at less than $2 bucks each. Think about a fresh air filter too but I think you have eliminated an electrical issue and you have a fuel delivery concern.

Back