Banging my head!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicki66

Reaction score
I really hate myself for ever changing from stock exhaust and stock jets. My bike use to run perfect in all conditions. Now with aftermarket setup, every other month, i have to make an adjustment to this thing. I am ready to run it into a lake!

Exactly what kind of adjustments are you having to make?

needle and pilot screw adjustments. It is such a major difference in how she runs in summer and winter

This past month, it has been very sluggish down low. Tried moving needle clip up and have been all over the place with mixture screw.
So today i lowered the main, to 157.5 again, and clip position has been from 3-4th from top.
I want the cooler winter weather again. Then she runs almost great!

Fuel formulations change with different times of the year here in Missouri. Not sure if that's true for FL, or not.

Can't say that it's caused me to have to re-adjust the carbs on mine though. Performance at a track could probably be measured, but not a problem to/from work.

I give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got to park it till November when the weather get nice again.... POS!

I really hate myself for ever changing from stock exhaust and stock jets. My bike use to run perfect in all conditions. Now with aftermarket setup, every other month, i have to make an adjustment to this thing. I am ready to run it into a lake!
I give up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got to park it till November when the weather get nice again.... POS!
I hate to be a killjoy, but I've recommended this before: put the jetting and needles back to stock, or if you have a pipe (which you mention), go down one or two on the main jet sizes and see how it behaves. I'm not into making radical changes all at once, but rather incremental changes.

How long has it been since your carbs were cleaned ? Is your tank clean no crud floating around in it fule filter clean etc ? What exaust are you running & what carb setup stage 7 vboost no vboost etc ?

Yes tank is clean. Filter is good. I have Marks 4-2 exhaust, Morley jet kit. v boost working
I am very regular user of Seafoam.

@94... i did drop the main today. they after test ride, i adjusted the needle, up down, air screw in , out. I spent almost 7 hrs today and made no affect.
i also did the shotgun cleaning method today too.

It runs great and sounds great over 5k rpms. But who can do +40 over the speed limit all the time?

Sounds to me like you might need to do a full cleaning pull jet blocks & clean all passages. if its good 5 k & up & your af screws make no diffrence you most likely have some things blocked that the shotgun will not help.

This is why I have not screwed with my great running 05, just ride and no plenty$ into things that just cause problems. 20,000 miles and never had a carb sync, shot gun, and it never misses a beat and has no flat spots or back-fires.:clapping:

What more can I ask for. It just kicks ass.

O

Maybe also check the little diaphragm on the sides of the carbs. Mine was a pain (impossible) to get right below 5000rpm, and all 4 diaphragms were shot.

Kevin, I can't remember if you got an early kit and we didn't sell you the optional needles (included in the kit now)? Also, we can try a larger pilot fuel jet. That may help get you where you need to be.

Sean

Bazwell is right...please inspect your carb diaphrams VERY closely...2 of mine were shot causing very inconsistent "jetting" plug results...If bad, Sean has replacements on the cheap...

Thanks for the info, i will check them later.

Sean, It is an older kit, but i did get the needles from you also.

i had a 160 main in there. Did i make the wrong choice going smaller?

Back