Best fix for o-ring problem?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone actually know anyone else firsthand that had a an actual failure from this problem. I know plenty have seen what looks like the o-ring kinda pushing out before a failure, including me. But I've yet to hear of a single person actually having a failure from this unless it was a story told about a best friends uncles brother in laws 3rd cousin tha had it happen.

Just curious, doing the "cure" is cheap insurance, I did it too, but still................???????????

I have yet to open and engine with bearing problems that did not have the o-ring blown out. I've opened ones without problems that also had it blown out.

Yeah it seems like the wrecked engines all have it. I figure if you're changing the oil some time and feeling ambitious your might as well drop the pan and patch it up for the extra insurance.

I believe boxenstopp sells the bracket shown on the Spanish flier site for about $65. You wouldn't need to modify the elbow, Yamaha changed it im 99 or so.

Quite true. He says it in the site

hawkeye,

I read that you have a 2006. Yamaha updated the pipes in 2003. It may not be necessary for you to do anything. The new pipe fits farther up and provides a much better "Captivity" of the O-Ring. I have done 2 bikes, a 94 that had the O-Ring popped out of place but no engine damage. The second, an 89 and the O-Ring was in place but I swear it had updated pipes... I replaced the O-Ring on both with the Kawasaki Part. I used the COO Button on the 94 but did not on the 89. I used the rubber bumper from the 94 on the 89. It appeared to be in slightly better shape. I don't forsee ever having to worry about ether O-Ring, ever again...

There are many ways to fix the problem. But I still think that you may find that you don't have a popped O-Ring on your 06.

Good Luck, no matter what you decide...

Dave

Is it 2003 or 1999 the turning point for the elbow fix?

Sorry to break into this thread, but would you have this guys email ? He has exactly the rev counter/speedometer combi I'd like!

Im trying to find that out. I just posted on the spanish vmax forum...

Last edited:
Weld M16 regular shim on that elbow to prevent oring slippage, fabricate new tighter bumper from polyamide to squeeze the elbow and theres one more thingy that you need - HD oiling kit from Sean!

wildweasel_pt : I see reference to the pipe being upgraded in 1999 on that Spanish Site. I looked the part up at Yamaha Parts Depot and they show it as an upgrade part for 1998 but as a standard part for 1999... This changes what I had previously seen in print and I need to nail this down for entry in the VMax Compatibility list I'm working on... Thank You for Questioning my answer so it can be corrected..

That Compatibility list hasn't gone away, I've been chipping away at it slowly but could use some input from others here.. It's in the General VMax Questions area.. I keep the first post of that thread up to the latest info I have. Thanx for any help...

If seans kit makes 8-10PSI at idle, approximately what would the normal oil pressure at idle?

My 94 shows 2-3 lbs at 1050-1100 rpm... It drops to zero indicated if I set the idle down.

To a ceratain extent, this depends upon the oil itself. Pressure can vary slightly depending on the oil used.

Ah that makes sense. Sounds like you could do some damage if the idle was set too low and the bike idled too long.
So, are there any downsides to the HD oiling kit? The rest of the oiling system can handle the pressure it makes at the top end etc?

With a good O-Ring set up in the bottom end (Your 06 is fine),good seals, gaskets and the Kit installed properly so it bypasses at the proper pressure. No downside that I can think of..

Seans Morley's the expert on this subject...

Ah that makes sense. Sounds like you could do some damage if the idle was set too low and the bike idled too long.
So, are there any downsides to the HD oiling kit? The rest of the oiling system can handle the pressure it makes at the top end etc?

I never seen any bad side of using this kit.

+1 for what Dave said. Get in touch with Sean.

The only downside of the HD oiling kit is getting it installed. Even that isn't all that bad but on your back makes the job more of a challenge.

Sean

The only downside of the HD oiling kit is getting it installed. Even that isn't all that bad but on your back makes the job more of a challenge.

Sean

Getting the pump gear off is the hardest part. The tips on my 90 degree snap ring pliers were too long and wouldn't fit in there to get the snap ring off the gear. This is the brand I have but mine aren't the "large" ones.
http://www.tooltopia.com/kd-tools-3...utm_term=KDT3152&utm_campaign=pricegrabber_r1
Ended up borrowing a Harbor Freight set from my neighbor. The tips bent and then broke when I straightened them but got the job done.
http://www.harborfreight.com/11-pie...m=cse&utm_source=shoppingdotcom&hft_adv=15000

so to pull the pump it looks like there are 4 bolts holding it into the lower section of the case. in my haynes manual it doesn't appear clear if I have to do all the pipe removal since they are one in the same step.

Latest posts

Back