Best seat for '04 Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NS_Vmax

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Relatively new guy here. I currently own a 2004 Max with a stock seat which just kills my ass. Even on rather short rides.

I did a search of the forum but did not find any threads for aftermarket Vmax seats. Does anyone have any experience with an aftermarket seat they really like that doesn't make your ass feel like its about to fall off after a couple hours of riding? Any recommendations?

A forum member (twistedmax) makes aftermarket seats that most everyone agrees it's a huge improvement over the stocker and it's on sale :) I'm about to find out, in a week or so, if it's really all that and a bag of chips, lol.

Here's a link to his website or you can just click his banner on top.
http://www.maxgasser.com/

But indeed I am the only one that makes a true aftermarket seat. NOT a cut down stock seat. With a maxgasser your stock seat can get put on the shelf.

I got a Morley "cut down" stock seat in 05' and it's still like new with 15k on the seat.

You can't go wrong with the Morley seat.

My opinion.

Your choices are the Maxgasser, Corbin, Morley's Muscle, UFO Starfighter seat, Sportmax (rmsportmax).

All are good seats, it just depends on what style/look you like the best and which one that will make your ass the happiest.

Mike

Go with Morley Muscle, have it made the way you want and you are doing bizz with a straight up guy.

I think the Corbin seat looks like shit, just like the back sissy bar does on the max.

Keep it clean and Spartan.

O

Go with Morley Muscle, have it made the way you want and you are doing bizz with a straight up guy.

I think the Corbin seat looks like shit, just like the back sissy bar does on the max.

Keep it clean and Spartan.

O

I totally agree on the Morley seat, I love mine. I also agree on the sissy bar, however, my wife fell in live with the backrest before I had a chance to find a normal grab rail to replace it with :)

I think the corbins are really ugly. Id go with a morleys or maxgasser

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

As to the back rest, I want no-one on my Max but me, so screw the sissy bar that invites riders and makes the Max look weird.

My riding is a personal affair between me and Max and the road, I don't share.

O

+1 to Maxcruiser's post. Many will tell you which one they like but the best way is to sit on as many different seats as possible and find out from the owner what was done to the seat. Having a vendor that will customize the seat AND then make revisions to it if you find a issue with the seat. This is paramount to your satifaction in the end and for your rear end!
Now for my tale of how "I" had the seat made so I can enjoy 600+ mile day and still be able to walk and talk positivly about the comfort of the seat. I had a stock seat that the cover was ripped and sun faded when I decided to have Sean Morley rebuild my seat for me. I had some custom layout of the seat panels ideas I gave Sean and he decided that it might be best for someone that weighs 275 lbs get one of his full cut seat (less foam is taken out to lessen the chance of bottoming out on the seat pan)
The seat ended up being beautifully stitched and way more comfortable than the stock seat. I rode the seat for one season but found that after 300 miles or so my butt would start aching about 50 miles after a fuel stop. The next fuel stop would loosen the muscles up and I'd be good for another 50 miles or so. I talked to Sean after sitting on a FJR about the flat profile the center section the FJR had. He said send it to him and he would fix it up. Once I received the seat back from Sean I immediatly noticed a big difference in comfort when I first sat on it. It was a couple months later that I took my 1st 500 mile trip and man was that trip a pleasure. I now felt as comfortable at the end of a tank as I did just after filling up. The seat sat me "into" the bike more so I felt connected to the bike and had a better wind profile behind my smallish Givi mini shield because I was sitting a couple inches lower. And to top off Sean's excellant work he did not charge for the redo of the seat, he just asked me to pay for the shipping, which I was glad to do.
Well that is my happy seat story, you should take a serious look at what you want your seat to give you. By trying other Vmax custom seats, other brands and talk to your seat builder about building a seat for you like Sean did for me. You will not be sorry.

Love my Maxgasser and Rick was a pleasure to deal with. Highly recommend, i'm sure all of the other seats are good too. Just giving you my opinion. Good luck

I've had an original Corbin which was OK but too low for me (cut-down for a short-arse PO). Then I had a Corbin re-done by Sean. I like it much better, and didn't mind the looks as it fitted quite well with the FatMax hard bags that were on the bike.
For my new bike I've gone with an original 'Muscle Seat' made by Sean, including the pillion pad. I've sat on one before and my arse said YES!
I would equally check out the MaxGasser seat, fuelling is way easier with it and all who bought one absolutely love them. Also if you like it, Sean will give you $ for your OEM one as he always needs cores to make his customised ones..

I too am looking for a new seat. Your right your butt is sore even after just 45 minutes. I have been looking at Corbin, lots of styles, colors and several backrest choices which can be moved into the drivers spot also. From what I understand, the Corbin is a bit taller and good for guys say 6' and up. Lastly, a backrest doesnt look to cool when riding solo but the Corbin backrest is on and off in 5 minutes. I am going with the Corbin (it does take 5 weeks to get) good luck to you.

Did Sean rebuild your Corbin seat? I like the Corbin because of the versitility of the backrest. My wife wont ride until I get a backrest. So I want backrest that goes on/off easy.

Heres a reworked corbin I did a couple years ago, Im thinking about selling it but It wont be cheap and no one will ever have another like it. its a corbin with a mustang logo on the back, I did the shaping and the VP of mustang did the cover while I still worked there. not the most comfortable seat Ive riddin but definitely one of the best looking. IMHO

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 67
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 66
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 55
It's a good looking one for sure Rick. We have some Corbin cores but I don't think I have one with a backrest setup.

Sean

Back