Big plans and big setbacks!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snakecharmr

Reaction score
Well had big plans for the last month or so since I bought my 85 Vmax. I was going to give it a trick Alsa candy blue over chrome paint job, lately planned on getting a full exhaust at the recomendation of a few members on here. Also do some styling and re-powdercoating of smaller items. And as of this morning it has all gone down the drain literally.. Plumber just left as about half of my water pipes under my house burst last night and the bill for that alone just cost me the same as the bike did. And now I have water damage in two rooms, all my insulation under the house is soaked and garbage and there is six inches of ice/water in my crawl space under the house. All my "play" money is toast. No upgrades for me soon. I'm looking at a repair bill upwards of $15,000 in total to get everything done right.

So here is my question.. What maintanance issues/items can I check and do on my vmax to keep my mind of my lack of funds and still make some progress on the Vmax until I can get my bank accounts back from the brink of suicide? I have not riden the bike more than around the block, there is rumour that the motor has been changed or swapped for a larger bore one at some point in its life (how do I confirm or check this?). Does anyone have any pics of the carb end of the Vboost unit so I can attempt to find it on mine as I have been unsuccessful so far.

New plan is to put just new pads on for brakes, hoping the rotors are still good for a season, Krylon paintjob, Krylon all the small bits I was going to powdercoat and toss the idea of a full exhaust for a bit.

That sucks man:bang head: Do you have any Home owner Insurance? I don't know how it works in Canada. We all get big ideas with mods, but I rode my for the first few years all stock. It was still a blast.

Home owners should totally cover that and then some I would think.

Maintenance....
plugs
air filter
brake pads
oil/filter
tires (I put new ones on every year its cheap insurance. Go with Shinko Tourmaster)
Fork seals are super easy to do. I have a video some place I made when I did mine.
Check you bulbs
coolant change and thermostat check.
rear diff fluid change
valves adjusted
carbs synchronized
adjust cables
rear shocks set

That covers most and if miss anything someone will chime in.

Good luck with the house.
Todd

Only if he had "flood" insurance which is actually not that commonly bought.

Are these what you want?

4e0266f276104dba682e28a2f7c7ece65186a0e5.jpg

37c26eb27f11bd1e68de55ac6668c882822fc89b.jpg

As funds are tight I'd stick with giving it a full service.

According to Insure.com,

"Water damage is among the most common causes of homeowners' insurance claims--and one of the biggest sources of confusion. If a flooding river inundates your home, your insurance is unlikely to cover the damage. But if the flood comes from within the home itself, the result of a burst pipe, you can breathe easier: Your policy probably will cover the damage.

Coverage
In general, water damage from a burst pipe inside your home will be covered by a standard homeowners' insurance policy. If an outside pipe bursts and causes damage, that should be covered, too, though you must be able to demonstrate that the damage did indeed come from the burst pipe. If the insurer concludes that poor drainage--a non-covered maintenance problem--was the real culprit, your claim may be denied.

Limitations
Your water-damage claim also might be denied if your insurer concludes that you are responsible for the pipe bursting in the first place. Most pipes that burst do so because they freeze. If you left your home unheated during freezing weather, your insurer can cite your negligence as a reason for denying your claim. Even if your insurer does pay for the water damage, it may refuse to pay to repair the pipe itself. Insurance doesn't cover normal wear and tear on a home. If the pipe burst simply because it was old and corroded, or because it was attached to an appliance that malfunctioned, that might count as normal wear and tear."

Of course, every insurance policy can vary........

^ Exactly.
My Home Owner's Insurance definitely covers Water Damage from broken pipes/water lines.
As does almost every Home Owners Policy.

The damage sucks but you should have no problem getting it covered by tour HO Insurance company.

(side note, most HO policies offer sump pump insurance, so if it your sump gets over-run, looses power, or breaks when needed you are covered. I think for me it was $24/yr for $10k of coverage. I used it twice within 3 months in 2010, worth every penny)

Yup got insurance. but unfortunately it does not cover the cost of fixing the actual pipes, that 1500 came out of my pocket and so will the 1000 deductible... still a major hit. I work seasonal environmental consulting work so I'm on employment insurance this time of the year. I just spent two months income and didn't pay any bills... woohoo. Yup those Vboost pics will help greatly btw.. thanks

The VBoost pics won't tell you if the servo is still there. They don't show it. The other end of the cable you see that opens the butterflies should have the servo attached.

Hey man, my old dad used to say this "it could be worse". You got your health and family, not to bad! Is that a factory color on your bike as is, and here are some pics if the system apart. The vboost servo and butterfly manifold assembly. Now other than having your motor apart and measuring the bore and stroke I wouldn't know how to tell if your motor is other than stock 1200cc. Machine shop receipts or other docs. to brag on you could reference?
Glad to help with any other stuff! Oh yea one more thing, if you remove the air box and look down in between the carbs with the key on you can watch and hear the vboost cycle as you turn on the run/off switch, after a few times getting used to what your looking at you will see whether or not the cable is actually hooked up and working the butterfly's. As I said any other question's, this is the place.

Last edited:
No not a factory color by anymeans.. Very poor job with what looks like no prep work, orange peel and grooves all over the place and a very patchy topcoat. I've been able to do a lot better rattlecan jobs in the past so at least I can fix that up. I know the vboost is not working currently and is set to be full on with the stage 7 kit. I just want to see if it is still in place or if some of it has been removed so I have an idea of what I need to fix if I get rid of the stage 7 at some point. thanks for the pics, that should help.

My 85 didn't have working Vboost either when I bought it. If you do have everything intact but it won't cycle with the key. Try removing the control board and flex it a little while someone turns the key on. You could have a cracked solder joint. It helped me to troubleshoot mine. I ended up getting the aftermarket board from Micromachine ( I think that's the name ). Now I can adjust what rpm the boost opens up at. :biglaugh:

Best of luck with the ol' girl.

Make sure the round plug for the VBoost is plugged-in under the left scoop, too. People will unplug it when the cable tightens to run open VBoost ports/butterflies w/o having to remove it. The retention of the VBoost in this fashion makes it easier to synch carbs when needed. Just re-plug the connector, and turn the key. VBoost closes.

My 85 didn't have working Vboost either when I bought it. If you do have everything intact but it won't cycle with the key. Try removing the control board and flex it a little while someone turns the key on. You could have a cracked solder joint. It helped me to troubleshoot mine. I ended up getting the aftermarket board from Micromachine ( I think that's the name ). Now I can adjust what rpm the boost opens up at. :biglaugh:

Best of luck with the ol' girl.

Wow, is this a crawl space under on the home, Do you copper pipes. If there room
under the home. cutting out the pipe that's crack is easy and install the new pipes

You can use fitting like this.

Where are located are near MD,VA. if your not to far from me....
I can come doing it for you.... you buy parts $200.00 labor for me and beer.

Attachments

• copper (1).jpg
    copper (1).jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 10
Thanks for the offer.. A grand later and the pipes were fixed. Still waiting for insurance to get there act together and get together with the contractors to get the damage fixed though..

From the pics of the Vboost mechanism to what I have, it appears I do not have the Vboost system still in place. Vboost slides are in the open position and fixed there. So Vboost 100% of the time. Made some headway on prepping for paint today.. Gonna do some more work to it tmm. Start work 7 days a week as of next tuesday so hopefully get it done before I start.

Latest posts

Back