Biggest bang for the buck.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fxzfox

Reaction score
OK. I have looked around a good bit but I still haven't found the answer I'm looking for.So lets see if you guys can help.I want a Busa killer that I can ride everyday.Or a vmax that is just as fast.

1) Is a chain conversion worth it ?Does anyone have Dyno #'s and 1/4 mile times of there max before and after?

2) Superchagers or a big bore kit?
I want the biggest HP/TQ jump I can get and still have Yamaha reliabilaty.I love turning wrenches but not in the middle of a ride.

3) Which superchargers are best?

4) Which Bigbore kits are best?

Thanks for the Help.

well,

1: chain conversions work well when you start to get big HP. The shaft drive system robs a little power (not a ton) but the blocks don't hold up in the middle drive gear area (cracks the cases). Chains tend to require more maintenance and the oiling on the outer support bearing is difficult to do and get any kind of good service life. I've got one method to do the chain drive that addresses this issue well but it doesn't fit in the confines of the frame like the "typical" conversion does.

Even with this the best time I have seen was a low 10 with a 1570 longrod engine. I think the rider needed a bit more experience but he would disagree I'm sure.

I've even seen a 1428 bike with NOS that only turned mid 10's.

The absolute fastest bike I have seen in person was a small bore turbo bike. I saw it run 9.44 and he claims to have been 9.20's - I don't doubt it.

Now, I do have a full on 1500 longrod I need to sell. It ran 8.30's and had more to go. High sevens in the right chassis might be possible. It could probably be made to drive on the street but it will never be dependable like the stock bike would be.

2: Superchargers don't put out much HP since they loose a lot to efficiency (they create a lot of heat). Most I have seen here was 190hp with an extreme setup. By the way, magnacharger no longer is in business so you would have to find a used system.

Big bores can make 200+ rwhp and the 1500 I have makes 0ver 300 with NOS (200 on the engine).

3: See note above - If you wanted to fabricate your own I would suggest a centrifugal type like one from ATI Procharger. They have a small import car version and one for harleys that may work good. They are however expensive.

4: There is no BEST.

Any work you do to increase HP will almost always have a negative effect on reliability. Not saying they will break every day but they will not last or ride as easily as a stock or lightly modified engined bike will.

Sean Morley

well,

1: chain conversions work well when you start to get big HP. The shaft drive system robs a little power (not a ton) but the blocks don't hold up in the middle drive gear area (cracks the cases). Chains tend to require more maintenance and the oiling on the outer support bearing is difficult to do and get any kind of good service life. I've got one method to do the chain drive that addresses this issue well but it doesn't fit in the confines of the frame like the "typical" conversion does.

Even with this the best time I have seen was a low 10 with a 1570 longrod engine. I think the rider needed a bit more experience but he would disagree I'm sure.

The absolute fastest bike I have seen in person was a small bore turbo bike. I saw it run 9.44 and he claims to have been 9.20's - I don't doubt it.

Now, I do have a full on 1500 longrod I need to sell. It ran 8.30's and had more to go. High sevens in the right chassis might be possible. It could probably be made to drive on the street but it will never be dependable like the stock bike would be.

2: Superchargers don't put out much HP since they loose a lot to efficiency (they create a lot of heat). Most I have seen here was 190hp with an extreme setup. By the way, magnacharger no longer is in business so you would have to find a used system.

Big bores can make 200+ rwhp and the 1500 I have makes 0ver 300 with NOS (200 on the engine).

3: See note above - If you wanted to fabricate your own I would suggest a centrifugal type like one from ATI Procharger. They have a small import car version and one for harleys that may work good. They are however expensive.

Any work you do to increase HP will almost always have a negative effect on reliability. Not saying they will break every day but they will not last or ride as easily as a stock or lightly modified engined bike will.

Sean Morley

I vouch for the ATI, I installed one their systems on my wifes 350Z and had it putting down 355 at the rear wheels and she was running mid 12's at the strip.

They make 'em for Harleys (which really need a S/C)

Wish they made a pre-fab system for the Max. I would never have the skill to build design my own without out sourcing most of the mill work and exhaust work.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I have been wanting to do an ATI project for some time but don't have the extra funds to go through with it. I also have some info on doing a belt driven turbo. I figured I can make an easy 150 hp on a stock bike with it and still keep it reliable.

I've got a Camaro we are finishing up a 383 LT4 with ATI supercharger on it. We are shooting for 750rwhp on pump gas and 1000 on race fuel. Engines components are rated for 1400hp.

Sean Morley

Hey Sean and wfcall,

Would you guys (and others in the forum) be willing to do new threads with step-by-step how-to guides to either Turbo-charging or supercharging a Max?

I would love to turbo-charge my bike (and plan to sooner or later) but having never attempted it before I'm sure there are a million little details that can make the project a total buzz or a total nightmare.

This is more of a put off than the expense.

Maybe two threads with how to guides and pics for turbo and supercharging projects?

Last edited:
OK. I have looked around a good bit but I still haven't found the answer I'm looking for.So lets see if you guys can help.I want a Busa killer that I can ride everyday.Or a vmax that is just as fast.

1) Is a chain conversion worth it ?Does anyone have Dyno #'s and 1/4 mile times of there max before and after?

2) Superchagers or a big bore kit?
I want the biggest HP/TQ jump I can get and still have Yamaha reliabilaty.I love turning wrenches but not in the middle of a ride.

3) Which superchargers are best?

4) Which Bigbore kits are best?

Thanks for the Help.

think you need the bottle or the new 1800 max when it comes out

Hey Sean and wfcall,

Would you guys (and others in the forum) be willing to do new threads with step-by-step how-to guides to either Turbo-charging or supercharging a Max?

I would love to turbo-charge my bike (and plan to sooner or later) but having never attempted it before I'm sure there are a million little details that can make the project a total buzz or a total nightmare.

This is more of a put off than the expense.

Maybe two threads with how to guides and pics for turbo and supercharging projects?

Way beyond my expertise.

I consider myself very good at Forced induction theory and have pretty decent experience tuning Supercharged stuff as well as picking out the right stuff to go into a purpose built F/I engine, how timing, fuel delivery and detonation control come into play in making an engine survive the experience.

I could also easily install a well designed turbo or S/C kit on just about anything but I'm no fabricator when it comes to that level of difficulty.

Turbo piping and exhaust would kick my butt.

Supercharging brackets and pulleys, gear drives and all that mess can get pretty complicated. Doing it nicely and craftsmanlike usually involves a lot of millwork fabrication which just isn't something I'm capable of doing.

The ones I've done on cars were all specific kits for the vehicle involved.

Rusty

well,

Sean Morley

Great Thanks alot.So what would you do?
A small bore and a Turbo?
The last thing I want is to blow someone off the road and blow up right after.I give all my Harley buddys way to much shit about there bike to ever brake down in front of them.

I vouch for the ATI, I installed one their systems on my wifes 350Z and had it putting down 355 at the rear wheels and she was running mid 12's at the strip.

They make 'em for Harleys (which really need a S/C)

Wish they made a pre-fab system for the Max. I would never have the skill to build design my own without out sourcing most of the mill work and exhaust work.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

What do you think about Jhon Furbers Superchargers.
@ sportmax.

think you need the bottle or the new 1800 max when it comes out

Yes I will own one....If....When....If......When.......I hope to own one.
But the Max I have now is the bike I fell in love with 20 years ago.It's my third child.And she wants to go fast

Small bore and turbo. If I get time or someone with the funding I would do the fab work to install a belt driven turbo that I have ideas on.

Sean

Magnacharger went out of business and Furbur needs to update his website.

Mark

My fault.I hand no idea that Jhon used Magna.

Small bore and turbo. If I get time or someone with the funding I would do the fab work to install a belt driven turbo that I have ideas on.

Sean

OK..So tell me if this sounds right.
Keep the shaft drive.
Chain kit not worth the money ( Not enough bag for the buck )

Small bore kit (How big? From who? ) ( Long or Short? )

Turbo..Same question.

Thanks. Eugene

stock bore or 2mm over - either get new pistons if you want to maiximize the potential or reuse stock pistons and add a thicker head gasket to drop compression a little. I can get you pistons made to your specs.

If you are serious and want to spend the cash (it's not cheap) I will see about trying to get you a setup made. The prototype kit is very crude looking but works great. We may be able to rifine the looks on the next kit. There are side effects that are difficult to work out with carbed systems. It's hard to get a kit that works well for street driven bikes. Its not unrideable just not like a stocker would be. You'll have fuel pulling out of the carbs at speed (just like Vgas does). Of course big money can solve that with fuel injection. Now you've made it the price of a new bike,

Sean Morley

Back