Bike dies, no spark after warm

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fieldmax

Reaction score
The bike starts and runs great for a few blocks then totally dies. The headlight is still strong and all the lights still work including neutral. It cranks just great but won't offer to start.
I had thought gas but I pushed it home and it still wouldn't start so I hooked up a spark plug to one of the wires and no spark at all.
I let it cool down a few hours and then it sparked just fine.
Hooked up the wire and it started and ran just great....for a few blocks then the same thing.
When I looked at the schematics, I saw the side stand relay and figured ahah! But according to the schematic the "run" state of the relay is the same as the relay being out of the circuit. So I let the bike cool and pulled the relay plug loose and the bike started up and ran just fine, for a few blocks then wham...dead again and no spark. But that relay is not causing this because it's not even on the bike.
When I first thougth gas I replace the fuel pump at $180. It had no affect at all, the fuel filter also.
The only thing I can see in the circuit that affects all four cylinders at once is the TCI. I would think it's somehow separate inside though??
It's a 1993 totally stock.

Update; On a suggestion from another thread I checked the pickup coil;
OK. I checked the manual and the '93 and on like mine has one coil. Black and orange wire. I found the connector under the seat with two wires- blk and Org.
I ohmed them out and the book said should be 80 to 125 I think. I got 107 so I put it back and fired it up. Same as usual, it ran just great for 9 minutes and died. I pushed it back and checked the same connector, got infinity. Total open.
I'm going to let it cool down but I'm pretty sure that points to the pick up coil opening up when it warms up. Makes sense because it would take quite a while for all that oil to cool back to whatever temp this is caused at. When it cools I'll check again and meanwhile start draining the oil to get at the coil I guess. Any advice would be good.

Last edited:
I found a used pickup coil out of OZ Powersports in Kansas and paid a little under half what a new one is going for (over $300). Put it in and it starts and runs quite a while now with no problem. I ran it two or three times as long and far as it was doing when I took it down for maintenance so I assume that's the problem.

Wish I'd done that first rather than the new fuel pump which'll set you back $130.

Back