Bike simply died while riding

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my-86

Reaction score
So, I just installed a new clutch from PCW on my 86 max, and I take off down the road for the maiden voyage for this riding year. I get about 2 miles down the road (it's in 3rd gear), and the bike simply loses all power on every level. When I turn the key on, there is no fuel pump song, no head light, no tail light, etc. ALL power is gone. The battery is at 12.4 vdc, all the fuses under the airbox cover are good. My next step is to check the wiring going to the ignition switch. When I turn the key, the bike is acting as if there is no battery in it. Any help is going to be GREATLY appreciated. BTW, there is about 60k miles on it, if that means anything. And I highly doubt that the new clutch has anything to do with this also, but there may be something I don't know. Thanks again to anyone who can provide some insight.

Define, "main fuse". And exactly where under the seat. I'll go look right now...

Disregard. I just found it. And it was blown. The spare 30 amp fuse underneath it was good, so I pulled out the blown one and went to plug in the spare and it popped instantly. So there is a short to ground somewhere. Now I'll just follow the wires to find it. Thanks so much!!

Here is the location of the main fuse under the seat.
EDIT: Too late! I hope you find the short quickly!

Attachments

• Main Fuse 0567.jpg
    Main Fuse 0567.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 35
UPDATE: I found the issue. I found that the wire from one side of the 30 amp fuse was the only one shorting to ground. It's the red wire that goes to the ignition. After pulling all of the factory electrical tape from that group of wires that runs up the right side of the frame, from the ignition back, I found that the same wire is also tied in to the red wire from the voltage regulator... It was actually THAT wire that had overheated at its plug and was touching one of the other wires off the regulator, thus frying the regulator itself and blowing the main 30 amp fuse. Luckily, I found a new regulator on ebay for $60. Much thanks to RHOY CARTER for pointing out the main fuse. Luckily I was able to follow the issue from there and not starting blindly somewhere else. And thanks much to everyone else that pitched in an idea. I LOVE THIS FORUM!!

Back