Biker Dash commits Blasphemy (is considering a Harley)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biker Dash

Reaction score
It is pretty well known that I am a huge fan (almost rabid) of the 1st gen Yamaha V-Max. Have been since I was 12, when the bike first came out. It took me forever to finally get one, but I did.

After a few years on her, I have discovered that, just maybe, the V-Max is not the correct bike for me. Yes, it is pretty comfortable, and physically fits me well. It has all the power I need. (and then more) And it is one that moves my soul.

That being said, it is not the bike I am needing.

One of the biggest things about the V-Max is the sheer power of the bike, and how aggressively the power comes on. Seriously... There have been more than a few times when I was wishing for less power. Also, less aggressiveness from the engine in how it delivers its power would make for a more relaxed ride. That would help in me feeling less tired after a ride.

I looked around, and found many that come close to having a riding position that is comfortable, and even a few that felt perfect. Sadly, none fit the bill.

Then I looked at some Harleys.
Two in particular; the Fat Boy and the V-rod.

Yes, I am strongly considering getting myself a Harley Davidson.

(waits for the angry mob with pitchforks)

Biker%20Dash%20Burn_zpsn0iw2zix.jpg

Yes, I feel as if I am committing blasphemy and heresy by even considering this. But, if there is a chance that I can end up on a bike that better suits my needs, then I really should consider it.

As I mentioned, the two that seemed to fit me best that I have looked at (and fit within my price range) are the Fat Boy and the V-rod.

The V-rod I am considering is an 02. It has an aftermarket (Screaming Eagle) exhaust on it, which means the only controls that fit are the forward controls. I can barely reach them. Another V-rod, with the mid mount controls, felt perfect. The bike itself felt extremely well balanced. It has enough mass to it to feel steady, but with the balance of it, the bike does not feel heavy. I am told that it does have less power than the V-Max, but other sources say it may still have more than I want, and may be a bit more aggressive in its delivery than I desire. Also, there is the issue of the forward controls. HD offered models with mid mount controls, and an exhaust to match. I have to find out of those will fit on an 02 or not, and if they do, how much will it be to get the items so I can do the swap?

The Fat Boy I saw was too new and too pricey for me. But the bike felt nearly perfect. I would need an older one that was in decent enough shape, but falls within the price range that I can afford.

Suggestions, people?

Will the exhaust and controls I need fit on an 02 V-rod? Will it have a powerband that is civil enough that the bike does not wear me out? How does it handle. The same questions (except the exhaust/midmount controls one) can be asked about the Fat Boy.

Anything at all that you guys can share with me about the two bikes will be helpful.

Look into the older model fatbobs- I like the '90's model and they are a lot less money.
No worries here about giving up a vmax and getting what you want -- get it you only live once.:clapping:

I agree the fatboy would be MUCH tamer than a Vmax or even a VRod.
As for mid controls on a 2002 VRod, they do sell kits for that:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/v-rod-mid-control-kit
http://www.bl-lynx.com/pc/item/detail.cgi?itemCd=100_10000000M1&lng=2

I had a Fat boy back in the early 90's and it fit me well, was fine for cruising BUT rally didn't have the get up and go that I like to have in a bike.

I strongly suggest you take a few test rides before you make any final decision.

You should probably take a look at some of the Yamaha and Honda V-Twins as well.
They are lower power like the Fat boy but will be a LOT cheaper.

From all the touring Mods you have done to your Vmax, I'd look at a few Yamaha Ventures and see if one will work for you.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_Royal_Star_Venture

Get the street rod. It has mid controls. I rode on my friend's V-rod, and liked it quite a bit. They (Porsche) did a great job on it. Also, I don't hate Harleys at all, and was considering one, but I don't like the driver's seat at all.

You could always put some sort of rev limiter on your VMax, unplug the stepper motor for the VBoost & that would keep the power down.

If you just want a different riding experience, look at the Evolution engine bikes, you can find ones w/relatively low mi on them for not much $, say, $5-7K. Relative to the cost of a new one, that's not bad. There are a lot of H-D's in FL on the market, including Twin Cam ones that are older, and aren't worth much because now the oldest ones are ~16 years old and most H-D guys want something newer.

The Heritage Softail is the most popular H-D I believe, or at least it was. Now the FLH 'baggers' are popular. The Fatboy is a Heritage Softail w/those solid wheels. If you like the look there is also the 'Springer,' which has a narrow tall wheel and a vintage-looking front end which looks quite chopper-ish. It's another variant on the Heritage Softail.

I got a FLST Nostalgia, which was first the 'Moo-Glide' because it had a spotted cowhide seat complete w/hair! That was just the 1st year, but later models continued the Wide Glide 16" front tire which matches the rear tire size. Mine is an Evolution, but they make it in the Twin-Cam too now. I got mine w/low miles from the 2nd owner & it came w/all the original paperwork, back when there was a waiting list to buy them, and the dealer made you buy a chrome package if you didn't trade in a bike. The handlebar tag says $21K out the door, and that was a lot of $ in 1996.

What I like about it is, you're forced into a slower pace, and cornering hard just wears down the floorboards or other expensive parts, so you might as well go slower. There's vibration if you try to push much more than 70 mph, though it will break 100 if you insist. I think it's 68 HP & 74 ft/lb torque.

Please don't run straight pipes if you get one, they piss off a lot of citizens. And don't fall into the 'I don't need a helmet, I'm on a H-D!' mentality. AGATT, leave the spaghetti strap women wearing high heeled stilettos behind the do-rag dudes. David Mann drew plenty of 'em.

The V Rod came w/mid mount controls & may now again be available like that. That bike may be a good compromise, like a H-D but more modern than the air-cooled ones.

You could always put some sort of rev limiter on your VMax, unplug the stepper motor for the VBoost & that would keep the power down.

If you just want a different riding experience, look at the Evolution engine bikes, you can find ones w/relatively low mi on them for not much $, say, $5-7K. Relative to the cost of a new one, that's not bad. There are a lot of H-D's in FL on the market, including Twin Cam ones that are older, and aren't worth much because now the oldest ones are ~16 years old and most H-D guys want something newer.

The Heritage Softail is the most popular H-D I believe, or at least it was. Now the FLH 'baggers' are popular. The Fatboy is a Heritage Softail w/those solid wheels. If you like the look there is also the 'Springer,' which has a narrow tall wheel and a vintage-looking front end which looks quite chopper-ish. It's another variant on the Heritage Softail.

I got a FLST Nostalgia, which was first the 'Moo-Glide' because it had a spotted cowhide seat complete w/hair! That was just the 1st year, but later models continued the Wide Glide 16" front tire which matches the rear tire size. Mine is an Evolution, but they make it in the Twin-Cam too now. I got mine w/low miles from the 2nd owner & it came w/all the original paperwork, back when there was a waiting list to buy them, and the dealer made you buy a chrome package if you didn't trade in a bike. The handlebar tag says $21K out the door, and that was a lot of $ in 1996.

What I like about it is, you're forced into a slower pace, and cornering hard just wears down the floorboards or other expensive parts, so you might as well go slower. There's vibration if you try to push much more than 70 mph, though it will break 100 if you insist. I think it's 68 HP & 74 ft/lb torque.

Please don't run straight pipes if you get one, they piss off a lot of citizens. And don't fall into the 'I don't need a helmet, I'm on a H-D!' mentality. AGATT, leave the spaghetti strap women wearing high heeled stilettos behind the do-rag dudes. David Mann drew plenty of 'em.

The V Rod came w/mid mount controls & may now again be available like that. That bike may be a good compromise, like a H-D but more modern than the air-cooled ones.
Even at 4500 rpm (1500 before V-boost kicks in) she feels like she just wants to tear down the road at insane speeds. and highway cruise happens to be right around 5k on the tach around here. Heck, even as low as 4k, she wants to be a demon beast. The V-rod looks like it would be an excellent compromise, though I have heard that they are not the steadiest at speed.

As for straight pipes, that is something I do NOT want! As for not wearing a helmet, I don't wear one now normally!

Either would be a fine bike. Buy what you like. Did you consider looking into a dyna low rider? Newer models usually go for decent prices and they are pretty comfy rides. I've ridden a few and enjoyed it.

Find a ride that keeps the smile on your face. But the most important thing is to keep riding.

Save your money. Simply unplug two of your Vmaxes' plug wires and uncork your header pipes. You'll still be able to outrun 99% of the HD's out there, but from a distance, no one will know you are on a Yamaha instead. And if the lack of oil leaks is a concern for you, perhaps you could set up some sort of a slow drip oil bottle under the back seat and run a drip line down to near your Vmax kickstand? Problem solved.

I can understand the vmax not fitting the bill, it's sure not the most practical bike on the market. There are so many excellent offerings from other manufacturers that the choices are plenty to get exactly what you want. I would never understand going to HD from Yamaha but I don't have to understand. If you have ridden one and your expectations are realistic then go for it. Enjoy it, life is to short to buy a bike other people think you should have.

The Dynas are the cheapest full-size H-D. Used ones are often found w/o a lot of miles on them, because the 'biker' "bought the lifestyle," rode it a bit, and then bought a boat, jetski, snowmobile, atv, or whatever other toy his friends were now buying. I do like the Lowrider look.

For god's sake, what're you doin,' riding without a helmet? It's not your skills behind the handlebar we're concerned about, it's the texting teenager, the SUV or minivan Mom driving 55 in the left lane, the drunk, the hormonally-challenged male, all showing a lack of attention to being behind the wheel. That's who you have to wear protection against! :bang head:

Sure, it's your choice, I hope you choose survival, because after an accident, your chances are much better wearing one, and gear too. Heads and hands/feet are slow to heal and have lots of delicate parts which need protection.

Either would be a fine bike. Buy what you like. Did you consider looking into a dyna low rider? Newer models usually go for decent prices and they are pretty comfy rides. I've ridden a few and enjoyed it.

I've never understood the hate towards HD. I've ridden a few different models and I thought they were pretty good bikes. If you want HD, then get one.:punk:

I've never understood the hate towards HD. I've ridden a few different models and I thought they were pretty good bikes. If you want HD, then get one.[emoji14]unk:
I don't have issues with Harleys themselves.....it's the riders that I have issues with. Pulling up to a stop light and instead of a polite wave....or head nod....they look over and then suddenly look away....like your not worth common courtesy. That's what I have issues with.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

I don't have issues with Harleys themselves.....it's the riders that I have issues with. Pulling up to a stop light and instead of a polite wave....or head nod....they look over and then suddenly look away....like your not worth common courtesy. That's what I have issues with.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

They don't have time to wave at a stop light!They are too busy twisting the throttle? You would think after all these years HD would have figured out how to get their bikes to idle at a stop light,but you constantly see them at stop lights reving the engines?Never did understand that??

Back