Brake disks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubari

Reaction score
Are year 1995 vmax1200 front brake disks same as 1988 model, so that 95 disks will fit to 88 ?

Thanks

Are year 1995 vmax1200 front brake disks same as 1988 model, so that 95 disks will fit to 88 ?

Thanks

No.....they are not the same. The rotors from 85-92 are 282 MM rotors, and from 93 and up they are 298 MM.

ALL rear rotors are the same though.

Thanks. I need new front disks, found good pair from ebay..but from 95 model..so that is no go..

You could use that newer pair and get some hayabusa calipers (99-07) as well as our adapters and get incredible brakes compared to the lame original 88 brakes.

Sean

You could use that newer pair and get some hayabusa calipers (99-07) as well as our adapters and get incredible brakes compared to the lame original 88 brakes.

Sean

That is an idea as well. I didnt know if you were looking for original brakes or not. Sean is a great guy to deal with, and believe me will have some great ideas on how to fix up your Vmax. His email (which is the best way to get him) is [email protected] . Ive dealt with him for years, and currently have an aftermarket speedometer on order from him.

better brakes would be nice, but im trying to keep my bike close to original config, thanks for info anyway :)ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417455379.072256.jpg

Nice bike BTW.....but I do want to let you know that those are NOT the original rotors on there. The original rotors are solid, and the rotors that you have on there probably stop better than stock.

you are right about rotors. I changed those last year and other front rotor is allready bended, i think due the bad quality of steel used. i would like to put some other "tuning" rotors, but good quality rotors are not suitable for my wallet at the moment, but yes, not all original. just now im looking at exactrep webpage..maybe something little extra for next season :D

Exactrep has some NICE looking stuff.....and if you have anymore questions....please dont hesitate to ask.

The rotors are probably NOT warped. Check to make sure the floating buttons are not stuck. Lube them up and the problem will probably go away.

Sean

The rotors are probably NOT warped. Check to make sure the floating buttons are not stuck. Lube them up and the problem will probably go away.

Sean

If thats the case, that would be great! I check it out and let you know how it went. Thanks [emoji3]

Don't forget the video tutorial how to restore the float to your floating rotors. Great simple trick!

Last edited:
I like the idea. I think I heard him say brake cleaner or carb cleaner, they're pretty much the same... I thought they were pretty much NOT the same. The brake cleaner way looks good. I'll have to keep this in mind if I ever find mine bound up.

I measured both rotors in vise and they where straight in tolerance 0,05-0,1mm.
My rotors are not floating type. I did total overhaul to both brake saddles and installed new sealings to brake master cylinder.. so after i get brake hydraulics working again and some dry tarmac, I'll know is braking issue solved or not..wery strange this whole issue with the feel of warped rotors when braking, and rotors are as straight as they can be..

Last edited:
Pretty sure I got plenty of early model rotors media blasted and ready for paint if you are interested. $50 a set shipped in USA. Ask Bill Kratzenberg for a reference. He has a set I sold him for his 85.

Latest posts

Back