Brake light not coming on

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorodin

Reaction score
First off, I am not a black finger. ( mechanically savvy )

So my issue is, the taillight is on and works. But when the Brakes are applied, both front and/or rear. There is not brake light. It will not flash brighter at all. I have replaced both bulbs with new ones. The old ones did not look bad but still replaced them.

Ideas?

-Thanks

Check continuity on the brake light circuit. You might just have corrosion built up in that spot.

Check continuity on the brake light circuit. You might just have corrosion built up in that spot.

Or it's also possible that the quick disconnect for the brake light under the passenger pillion (signal light connections are there too) may have become disconnected and/or corroded. Check for voltage at the socket. Similar advice as mentioned above.

Are you testing both front brake and rear brake? If it lights up for one and not the other, it could be the switch at the lever

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

+1. Since it is not working when either brake is applied and the running light works this is the most likely scenario. Really easy to do even when not mechanically inclined (I know because even I can do it! :punk: ). It should be easy to get to as the wiring runs through the fender under the passenger seat.

I was able to trace it down to the front brake switch. There are two wires that come off of that switch. They were corroded. Cleaned them off and the brake light is working again.

Thank you everyone for your help and input.

I do have another question now.

The spring that connects to the rear brake leaver is lose and doesn't trip the light when pressed. If I pull on the spring with something to trip it. The brake light will come on. So I believe it is the spring not having tension.

(Once again, not tech savvy at all.)

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche...asp?Type=18&make=yamahamc&a=592&b=38&Action=O

On this page, part number 32. Is that the spring I would need to replace?

That rear brake switch, with the spring attached, should be adjustable so that the spring is tensioned correctly, and will pull the switch when rear brake pedal is pressed.

Here's a new spring listed on ebay, though you could probably find one matched closely enough to work by taking your existing spring to a local hardware store.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Mari...ash=item25be6bc4c5:g:I7oAAOSw~gRVv8nz&vxp=mtr

Right on, I did not know you could adjust that. Should have known that. Ill try that.

And thank you for the ebay link..

Thanks again everyone!!

Back