Brakes and Year ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidecarjohn

Reaction score
Recently acquired an 07 Vmax 1200 and trying to familiarise myself with issues that can enhance ownership. Reading through several topics have come across the issue of changes to the brakes.
So, an initial question. Does my late model Gen1 have improvements that possibly eliminate the need to consider changes ? Put simply, did the factory deal with earlier inadequacies ?

Postscript - I do like the idea of being called a "Junior". It's made my day.

For the most part yes.
Your bike has the 4 POT front calipers and larger rotors vs the 2 POT calipers and smaller rotors of the Pre-'93 Vmaxes.
I run EBC FA160HH Pads up front (and FA88HH in the rear) to help even more.
Some guys run 6 POT Calipers (found on Sport Bikes) on our Bikes but I personally have never had an issues with my Stock Brakes with the EBC HH Pads.

Welcome to the forum and I know how you feel. Don't worry though , after some posting , you turn back into a senior. LOL

Only way to tell for sure about your brakes is to test it in a safe environment . If it stops to your liking or to your type of riding ( cruiser , houligan , twisties , etc. ) Keep it stock and use the best pads. If not , s.s. lines , better rotors & masters and 4 - pot R-1 s can be a step up or you can go to 6 pots with several types of mfgs. & conversion kits found here with some searching. ( Chrome & the Mod Monkey can be optional )

Attachments

• Group 3   5-28-12 486.jpg
    Group 3 5-28-12 486.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Group 3   5-28-12 019.jpg
    Group 3 5-28-12 019.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC02624.jpg
    DSC02624.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Group 3   5-28-12 506.jpg
    Group 3 5-28-12 506.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 41
I have an 06....same as your 07. The brakes are plenty adequate, and came with HH pads from the factory.

Thanks for the prompt replies.
Already have braided lines, so that's good. Necessary test rides with our new baby in due course when the snow and ice decides to clear around our Yorkshire home.

I have an 07. Me personally I wanted a bit more out of my bike, and went with the 6 pot calipers, steel braided lines. If you pick the right year of 6 pots, they bolt right on with no adapters.

Eric

Attachments

• P1000015.jpg
    P1000015.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 28
I have an 07. Me personally I wanted a bit more out of my bike, and went with the 6 pot calipers, steel braided lines. If you pick the right year of 6 pots, they bolt right on with no adapters.

Eric
Cool. Did you have to change the master too? Rear brakes are still stock?

Cool. Did you have to change the master too? Rear brakes are still stock?

To my understanding if people go the the 4 pot R-1 brakes, then it is advisable to change the master cylinders also, usually nissan or the 1300 XJR master cylinder. With the 6 pot calipers available on the mid 90's FZR 1000 or the 750 RR yzf, these are a direct bolt on. Steel braided brake lines a VERY good with those. There is more surface area so provide better stopping. The rear brakes are stock (for now...lol). Eventually I want to do the chinese wavy rotors front and rear.

I want the bike to be able to stop as well as it goes forward.

For the most part yes.
Your bike has the 4 POT front calipers and larger rotors vs the 2 POT calipers and smaller rotors of the Pre-'93 Vmaxes.
I run EBC FA160HH Pads up front (and FA88HH in the rear) to help even more.
Some guys run 6 POT Calipers (found on Sport Bikes) on our Bikes but I personally have never had an issues with my Stock Brakes with the EBC HH Pads.
A+ :ummm:I personally don't see a need to go to a 6 pots caliper unless you are driving 150 mph constantley & need braking for hair pin turns. But I guess they do look cool:punk:

Yea 6-pots do look cool, but they are a bit overkill IMHO. I think the HH pads + braided lines do a great job, and the other improvement, both in looks and braking, are the 'waves' rotors, expensive from Galfers and the like but cheap from China while still good quality, and straight bolt-on.

To my understanding if people go the the 4 pot R-1 brakes, then it is advisable to change the master cylinders also, usually nissan or the 1300 XJR master cylinder. With the 6 pot calipers available on the mid 90's FZR 1000 or the 750 RR yzf, these are a direct bolt on. Steel braided brake lines a VERY good with those. There is more surface area so provide better stopping. The rear brakes are stock (for now...lol). Eventually I want to do the chinese wavy rotors front and rear.

I want the bike to be able to stop as well as it goes forward.

I have 94 FZR 6 pots bought both for 80 bucks on flee bay!! I also have Nissin master and love the looks and feel.. if its cheaper or roughly the same price as 4pots..... IMO over kill on braking power is never over kill. Now if it was hundreds more for fzr 6 pots id say its over kill lol. I can stop on a dime with 1 finger tho. :D

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I have 94 FZR 6 pots bought both for 80 bucks on flee bay!! I also have Nissin master and love the looks and feel.. if its cheaper or roughly the same price as 4pots..... IMO over kill on braking power is never over kill. Now if it was hundreds more for fzr 6 pots id say its over kill lol. I can stop on a dime with 1 finger tho. :D

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I'm with you...IMHO its very easy (with the Vmax's power) to outrun your brakes. LOL...everyone's Mod Monkey has one thing that they like. For some people its lights, or engine, mine loves brakes. LOL

Even with every day driving the pure effortless stopping power and overall "feel" of the brakes is worth the change in my opinion. None of the ones we've ever use needed new masters. The R1's however position the line higher and a line that is -2" shorter is a better fit.

Of course swapping masters around can make the 4 piston work even better though they won't work well with the 6 piston.

One final consideration is our upcoming 320mm conversion. This allows the 4 piston to be plenty of stopping power though you don't get the lever travel increase which is a big part of the increased "feel". Now, to clarify our 320mm conversion will be using hayabasa 6 piston calipers. We've used this setup wtih a SINGLE caliper and rotor and that's worked very well too and reduced recriprocating mass.

Sean

Even with every day driving the pure effortless stopping power and overall "feel" of the brakes is worth the change in my opinion. None of the ones we've ever use needed new masters. The R1's however position the line higher and a line that is -2" shorter is a better fit.

Of course swapping masters around can make the 4 piston work even better though they won't work well with the 6 piston.

One final consideration is our upcoming 320mm conversion. This allows the 4 piston to be plenty of stopping power though you don't get the lever travel increase which is a big part of the increased "feel". Now, to clarify our 320mm conversion will be using hayabasa 6 piston calipers. We've used this setup wtih a SINGLE caliper and rotor and that's worked very well too and reduced recriprocating mass.

Sean

:worthy:

I went with R1 gold dots + ss lines + new fluid. Much better than stock but still very smooth.

Back