Brakes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollin thunder

Reaction score
My front brakes are a little grabby .The pads look ok and I cleaned the rotors but when I just touch the fronts when going about 15to 20mph they grab and I dont like it.

There must be something on them you missed. If they grab (not pulse) then the pads may need replaced. If they stick and have a constant drag it would be calipers needing cleaned or a potential bad hose (not likely though). If they pulse then it would likely be warped rotors.

Sean

My front brakes are a little grabby .The pads look ok and I cleaned the rotors but when I just touch the fronts when going about 15to 20mph they grab and I dont like it.

Is it a full on grab, or does it kind of pulse?
Do you have stock or aftermarket brakes?
How old is the fluid in the master cyl?

My front brakes are a little grabby .The pads look OK and I cleaned the rotors but when I just touch the fronts when going about 15to 20mph they grab and I don't like it.

Have you taken the pads out and cleaned them and the calipers?
If not that's where you should start.
You could also try putting a chamfer on the leading edge of the pads.

If everything is clean and moving freely the suggest that you measure disco run-out AND thickness.
There is a fair bit of tolerance for the former (because as one piston is pushed to one side the other comes out thus little fluid is displaced) but not much for the second (both pistons move thus more fluid is displaced) and this is the pulsing that is felt at the brake lever.

That said I would have thought that it would need to be pretty excessive to cause the brakes to grab and you would get a lot of pulsing at the lever and kidder when braking.

If they still grab then a different make of pads may help.

I think the st up is stock and it isnt a pulse and when i do lift the wheel it doesnt hang up .The rear brakes seem to take alot more pressure than the fronts maybe cause they are single disc.

Rear brakes always feel weak compared to the front. I use the front 90% of the time and add the rear mostly for an emergency stop.....
Soon, I'm getting SS Braded Lines for added power....

Back