Breaking In

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaoteay

Reaction score
I'm going to pick up my new 2006 VMax tomorrow and was curious about the break in procedure?

What do you guys think about Moto-Man's hard break in theory? Good idea?

Since the dealership is an hour and a half away should I take breaks on the way back? Am I going to be able to go highway speeds for the first 500 miles?

Thanks!
Joey

I'm going to pick up my new 2006 VMax tomorrow and was curious about the break in procedure?

What do you guys think about Moto-Man's hard break in theory? Good idea?

Since the dealership is an hour and a half away should I take breaks on the way back? Am I going to be able to go highway speeds for the first 500 miles?

Thanks!
Joey
Ahh breakin this thread will be like talking about oil or religion.
The only brand new motorcycle I owned was a 90 GSXR. I followed the manual.
I know for sure highway driving isnt a good thing for the first 500 miles!!
You want to start out the first 500 miles riding putting the engine under a light load taking off, shifting slowing down acclerating just as you would on a country curvy road. What this does is seats all the parts properly building up engine temp cooling down. I wouldnt take it over 6K RPMS the first 500 miles.
After the first tank of gas 100 miles, drain the break in oil.
First 500 miles= Light loads flucuate the rpms max RPM 6K dont hold it at this RPM just bring it up and shift
500 - 800 Miles Max RPM 8K RPM
After 1000 miles RIP AND ROAR
I did this procedure with my GSXR and it was the fastest 750 around and lasted lots of abusive miles.

Drive it out of the dealership sideways and trailing burnt rubber in your wake.

Of course, if that makes you nervous...follow the instructions posted above.

You only get one shot to get those rings seated properly!

Mike

Back