breather kit for Stage-7 conversion

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1986VmaxRider

Reaction score
I prchased 4 K&N air filters for my stage 1 with v-Boost. I have since purchased a Stage-7 kit, and found that I need two special K&N filters (front two) with holes for hoses to combine to a cannister of some type followed by a larger hose for the crank case. Is this all that is needed? Is this odd device available to purchase or a white paper on how to build with P/Ns?
Anyone know why it is needed and why only in the front two?

Thanks

Dynojet do a breather kit for the Stage 7 but I have not been able to find the DJ part #.
I know you can get them separately 'cos I bought one from PDQ here in the UK.

It consists of an air/ oil separator with hose to the OE breather pipe and a larger diameter hose to an adapted oil filler cap at the bottom + two pipes at the top which feed into two of the filters.

Strictly speaking it isn't needed although you would have to make provision for any oil mist expelled from the breather to be collected otherwise the motor would get a bit slippery!

A hose into a catch tank would suffice but would need draining from time to time. This method would not be considered environmentally correct as crankcase vapours would vent to atmosphere.
The breather kit will allow the condensed oil to be re circulated back onto the sump and vapours burnt.

Why two vents into the carbs? I would guess because there is no added benefit having four?

Thank you. Appreciate the feedback. I did see the pdf from dynojet with Breather assembly DJ7012 and Orifice DJ7011. hopefully I can buy them separately. Yes, have the full kit of Jets, needles , and springs. In sunny San diego, thnk I will go with the 175's with supper slim tapered needles. Amazing of the size difference of the Stage 1 to the Stage 7 needles.

Thank you. Appreciate the feedback. I did see the pdf from dynojet with Breather assembly DJ7012 and Orifice DJ7011. hopefully I can buy them separately. Yes, have the full kit of Jets, needles , and springs. In sunny San diego, thnk I will go with the 175's with supper slim tapered needles. Amazing of the size difference of the Stage 1 to the Stage 7 needles.

yes you can buy them seperately, i did.

The K&N part# off the box of 4 filters that I have is SP-2429. These came with my stage 7 kit that I bought years ago.

I can sell you any DJ part you want (and have most of it on hand even).

Sean

Thanks again for the additional feedback. By chance or accident, when I bought my 4 K&N filters, I purchased the SP-2429, two have the holes in the top (for the front) and two do not (for the rear). Wow, how often does it happen that one accidently purchases the correct K&N filters for a modification that one does in the future?

Sean,
If you can get me the parts, I would like to purchase the Breather assembly (DJ7012) and the Orifice (DJ7011).
Please contact me at the following email address ([email protected]) or provide to me an email that I can contact you for immediate purchase and shipment.

Thanks again

Jack

I think the reason they only do it on two filters is because of space limitations in how the hoses are routed, and two's plenty to get the job done.

My part #'s on the filters themselves were different, the box they came in only had one part number so I think that was for the whole kit.

You could easily just make two holes in the top of filters to do that job tho''

I just converted mine to hybrid stage 7 just to get the filters and make room for my Wideband commander under the tank cover.

I installed the air correctors and 165 mains with stock springs minus two coils and the stage 7 needles on the 3rd groove from the blunt end of the needle.....I haven't riden it yet but sitting in the garage on jack stands (no swingarm or rear wheel right now) it seems ok this way. I got plenty of stock and Dynojet stuff to tune it once I ride it...The Wide Band commander A/F thingie I have on there should make tuning it fairly easy I hope.

I also installed the restriction orifice in the stock breather hose, I think without this you may be pulling to much mist out of the engine????

I went with the 165's instead of the 175's they recommend for full exhaust since I had already leaned my bike down to Mikuni 147.5's and it seemed to really like this, so I wanted to be a little leaner than what they were baseline recommending..

i was like 165 mikuni ur gonna be SOOOOOOO rich, but nah that makes sense, what is 165 eq to on mikuni?

The 147.5-150 stock main is what you need. The 165 is about the same as stock 152.5.

Sean

Sean,

Looking at my set up below do you think it'll work?

My goal was to compensate for the filters and still be slightly leaner than "normal"

I've got stg 1 and stg 7 needles and springs as well as the stock ones, plus a shitload of mikuni and DJ jets. From Mikuni 145 to 160's and from DJ 160's up to 190's?

The Stage 7 Needles look LESS agressive to me than the stg. 1???

Would you just leave it like it is and give it a whirl?

the stage 7 needles are much thinner than the stage 1, did u have stage 7 already?

Both needles will be similar main jets. I'd use the stage seven.

is this additional stg7 crankcase breather system necessary?
i mean what can go wrong if i keep the oil filler cap in its place and connect original crankcase breather to front filters?

Should work just fine. You just won't get the benefit of the crankcase vacuum that is created with the setup.

Sean

the stage 7 needles are much thinner than the stage 1, did u have stage 7 already?

The ones I had are the stock ones with no adjustability on the e-clip. The stage 7 are much thinner but they are also a lot longer than the stock ones, looks like stage 7 is richer-earleir but not completely "off the needle" as soon as the stock needles would be...

The ones I had are the stock ones with no adjustability on the e-clip. The stage 7 are much thinner but they are also a lot longer than the stock ones, looks like stage 7 is richer-earleir but not completely "off the needle" as soon as the stock needles would be...

are the stage 7 longer by as big as the adjustable area on them is?

Latest posts

Back