C.O.P.Got a little hot

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you, in theory, run a bigger gap without resistors?

Possibly, The main deal with the resistors is so your CDI is more or less tricked into seeing a resistance that is not really true for the actual COPs. This allows the CDI to perform without getting too hot. I am not sure if the resistor removed would actually gain much on the spark side of things. The only real way to check would be hooking it all up to a occiliscope to prove the theory.

G

Possibly, The main deal with the resistors is so your CDI is more or less tricked into seeing a resistance that is not really true for the actual COPs. This allows the CDI to perform without getting too hot. I am not sure if the resistor removed would actually gain much on the spark side of things. The only real way to check would be hooking it all up to a occiliscope to prove the theory.

G

Well, I've got both, but I'm too lazy to try any sort of testing. Also, I don't have an oscilliscope. I just know my bike runs great, so I'm not trying to mess with too much more stuff that's not broken.

My resistors are placed as the picture shows where the old coils were placed.
Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
When I had my issue the resistor was further back which allowed the seat to partially crush the resistor and when stated the heat did the rest of the damage to the wiring (slight, I noticed smoking it right away since the bike was just warming up). I'm going to add the zip tie to secure it to the safe location.

Resistance creates heat. Going to be a normal part of the process. If the coils are run without resistors then there will be more spark energy available.

If there is someone willing to buy a set of unresistored wires (from gannon or me), I will give them a 2 year guarantee that it won't burn up the CDI box. I want to get someone that rides regularly a chance to disprove the CDI's are burning up because of the increased resistance. This will need to be on a bike with 90 or newer ignition (I have more of those CDI boxes).

I will also comment, The NEW ignitech units Dingy (and I) sell are able to run these standard harness adapters without resistors. So, cheaper adapters AND a better box! It can even run the Vboost so another box with potential problems eliminated!

Sean Morley

i might be interested Sean. i had issues with a certain set of COPS and the dyna ignition so i took them off and i have the 'new' ones ready to go. would your warranty also hold on a dyna or would you prefer an oem cdi?

Resistance creates heat. Going to be a normal part of the process. If the coils are run without resistors then there will be more spark energy available.

If there is someone willing to buy a set of unresistored wires (from gannon or me), I will give them a 2 year guarantee that it won't burn up the CDI box. I want to get someone that rides regularly a chance to disprove the CDI's are burning up because of the increased resistance. This will need to be on a bike with 90 or newer ignition (I have more of those CDI boxes).

I will also comment, The NEW ignitech units Dingy (and I) sell are able to run these standard harness adapters without resistors. So, cheaper adapters AND a better box! It can even run the Vboost so another box with potential problems eliminated!

Sean Morley
The 2000 I bought has been running with out resistors for a while. I am not sure of the exact time. I will have to ask Dave & find out.

I rode with my original COPs setup I bought from Birdoprey for 2 for 2 years before I picked up a set of Gannon's sweet setup w/ resistors and had zero issues.
I am still running with COPs/resistors, added a Dyna 3000 ignition and have ridden with this setup for ~1500 miles; plugs look perfect and running great.

I have run cops without resistors on my 85 for at least 1500 miles with no issues what so ever on the stock cdi box.

It sounds like it's already been tried. I'd do a dyna except I don't have any spares. I have spare OEM box's and would be willing to risk one. So, we'd have gannon sell someone a kit or someone with one of his kits can swap out with his non-resistor harness's.

Sean

I ran my non resistor wired COPs on my stock '92 ignition for 2 years/ ~15k miles before I went to resistors. They were Birdoprey's wires but they were just stock cop wires with the connectors from the stock coils adapted to them.

Nielsen, I liked the way you routed the wires so much that I just did the same thing. Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

...2 year guarantee that it won't burn up the CDI box...a chance to disprove the CDI's are burning up because of the increased resistance.

Sean Morley

This is interesting...how come you reckon the unresistored wires won't damage the CDI?

I'm making up COP wires at the moment, and have sorted 1.5ohm x 20W resistors (ceramic block type, bigger than I thought they'd be!).

I should be ok with these resistors at the front, but I don't think I can get them to fit at the rear COPs without the heat from the resistors damaging the starter relay/battery terminals/loom etc...

Latest posts

Back