Caliper stripped

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CustomMax

Reaction score
Hi, I was missing the top bolt for my front left caliper ( I'm only using one) and Sean sent me a bolt but when I went to put the bolt in it's stripped, can I retap it or will I need a whole new caliper? Problem is mines chromed. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks, Ed

Helicoil as noted or if there is room to get a longer bolt and add a locking nut.

Hey guys, yea I have a good drill and thought of tapping it out what size drill and tapp would you suggest? I tried the longer bolt with a lock washer and it worked somewhat but it was giving me a funky squeak, it I'm sure would have to be tightened just so or it's putting a bind on the caliper against the rotor and I think therefore causing the funky squeak. Thanks, Ed

when you buy the helicoil stuff they usually say what size to drill it out to. If not i would pick a bit thats smaller than the inner parts of the thread of the OD of the helicoil. Then use the helicoil tap and tap the thread, insert helicoil and away you go.

the motorcycle machine shop nearby would probably do it for me for $20 or so, cheaper than the cost of the kit itself, so that would be my guess to see if someone local can do it.

Check out the use of time-sert's they are not cheep but work well. Also the caliper mounting bolt are a fine threaded type metric bolt.

Back