caliper upgrade

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RTJ1S

Reaction score
I have a '96 Vmax. I already have the stainless hoses, new HH pads and the braking is still subpar. I am about to rebuild the front end and would like to upgrade while I'm at it. I have read some posts referencing caliper upgrades. I understand that parts can be used from early R1's or GSXR or Hayabusa (along with some other bikes)

What I would like to know is the specifics for the easiest, bang for the buck, conversion. Such as.. year of R1 that will work best, adapters required, type of bike to source the master cylinder (and other parts) from (example.. 04 R1???)

What I would like is to improve the braking considerably, while keeping the price low. Thanks for the help

You need to contact Sean Morley(one2dmax) he can not only tell you exactly what your options are but also be able to supply you with the parts. He's a very honest vendor that helps a lot of the guys here and stands behind anything he sells. Kyle ( Captain Kyle) also sells used parts and he also is a very stand up honest guy. Welcome to the forum, and good luck.

RTJ1S,
Just look in the "Brake" section of the forum if you haven't already. There are plenty of threads of what people did and where/what parts they sourced........

Yeah, what Spingfield said. You were smart to go braided lines. Easiest upgrage is R1 calipers with gold spots being preferable to blue spot ones. The FJR master cylinder will complete the upgrade. But read the threads first. I cannot stress how valuable the search function is in learning the lastest, greastest, cheapest, smarterest, easiest ideas

Go with the FZR 6 pots...Sean might have a set. They're a bit pricey, but they are a DIRECT bolt-on and work very well with the stock master. They've saved my ars on a few occations :)

Thanks for the advise. I think I will go with the R1 calipers, good pads, then judge the improvement and go from there.

Not going to get an big improvement with them. It does help some but the biggest change will be from the pads when sticking with the 4 pots. Use HH pads (or sintered) for best results. The 6 piston gives much better modulation and stopping power.

We are working on a hayabusa caliper and 320mm rotor upgrade for both year models as well but that's probably still going to be a couple of months. The prototypes are done and we're simply waiting on the first "production" part to test. Then we're ready to sell em!

Sean

My first post on forum, just buy a 96', also interrested in these hayabusa kits... Any chance to international shipping? (brazil) thanks

R1 calipers bolt right on but your brake lines don't line up with them too well. It looks really funky.

The YZF calipers bolt right on and the brake lines work perfectly.

Attachments

• DSC05682.jpg
    DSC05682.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 91
Thanks for the ideas. I have had no problem finding the earlier model (99-03 YZF R6 ) calipers on Ebay. They have the two blue dots. I take it, these are the ones everyone is referring to. The bolt holes look about right.

they will bolt up and work but not a huge improvement. You'll also want to get shorter lines (-2" shorter) or they will be bunched up. You can criss cross the lines to help absorb some of the excess length if you don't want to get lines right now.

Sean

Well off topic a bit...but still within "caliper upgrade" I'm watching some 6 pot calipers from a 91 thru 95 1000 fzr? I'm looking for confirmation that they will fit (2007 Vmax). Will the brake lines be too long? :ummm::ummm::ummm:

It should look like the pictured ones in the earlier post in this same thread. The lines will be fine.

There are many FZR1000 complete front brake setups, not inc. rotors, on eBay. You need the 1993+ 43 mm dia. front end to mount 'em. Prices are sometimes <$100. Same for the blue or gold dot YZF/R1 non-radial mounts, but the prices go up a bit.

The last FZR1000's used the 6-pots, while earlier years used the 4 pots. If you upgrade to the '93+ VMax front end, either of those are upgrades. Here is a good one, but you need a bracket to mount the remote reservoir. The price for a complete set is pretty-good, $75. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-FZR1...es&fits=Model:FZR&hash=item337b831e8a&vxp=mtr
If you have the '93+ Vmax front brakes, Sean has mentioned this may not be much of an upgrade, I think, but if you are fitting a new front end to your '85-'92, it's a good place to start. You still need the '93+ VMax 298 mm rotors. The '87-'95 FZR1000 rotors are 320 mm.
$(KGrHqJHJFQE88fBZchJBPSvIUk1+w~~60_57.JPG

Done a conversion on my 2001 using 2001 R1 calipers..... it is a revelation, so much better! (I do also have hel line around 10cm shorter)

Since I upgrade to the calipers, lines and rotor I ended up with some really good breaking power on front. Sometimes I feel it's too strong since braking at low speed ended up few times in locking the front wheel. Is it something normal ?

You should have more control from locking up. Make sure everything moves freely.

Back