car tire??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poppop

Reaction score
i installed a car tire on my max last night.and love it a165/80/15 clears everything corners great .i only got about 3000 miles out of the white lettered donlops.gave it great conseration took it out today put about 30 miles on it froze my kuhanas off just had to know not recomending i just say im very pleased i would post some pics but haven,t got that figured out yet:th_image003:any body willing to give it a shot.i must admit i was spetical,it worked for me,im 53 yrs old and do not enjoy draging my bones. so far 11 inch shocks the tire and working on a sissy bar wife says she keeps slipping ,i don,t wan,t her to beat me so i don,t let her slip. sore ass wifes are no fun any way .i post some pics soon as i learn how poppop

What brand tire did you get?

Did you happen to get an inside width measurement of the rim? Someone on here not long ago who also wanted to put a CT on his bike wanted to know that, as he was worried that the rim was too narrow to properly fit a CT.

To properly fit you must grind off the "bead locks" which is the inner small raised bump that runs around the wheel just on the inside lip. Without taking that off the tire will not seat properly (even though you think it might be). Plus, even with that removed there is now no "lock" in place to hold the tire should it get a little low and hit a bump. That's why a tire even mostly flat, will stay on the rim and what causes the "bang/pop" when you mount them up.

Seriously, not a good thing I would suggest doing on a stock wheel. Measure the bead area between the car tire and your bike tire and you'll see what I am talking about. I do have a stock wheel we have done this too for a slick purpose. Of course it's wheel screwed in place with grade 8 screws threaded into the bead to hold the tire on and in place (of course the pressure is run pretty low too).

Anyone wanting to find that size tire can have the tire shops look it up for an old (not new style) VW beetle. This was the size tire they used for virtually every model. I even have a pair mounted up on the welds I used on the front of my 68 Chevelle.

I think most people know I am not afraid to try anything but it needs to be pointed out that this is very dangerous. Some people live when their chutes don't open but that doesn't mean it's something to try.

Oh, and by the way. The wheel width is 3.5" and i am not sure the recommended wheel size for that tire size.

Sean

Looks like most recommend 4.00 to 5.50" wide wheel. OEM rear is close (probably enough to be ok not counting the other factors.) Also, when asking you can also ask for a 165R15 which was what the beetles actually had (they added the 80 later when the full metric conversion chart was put in place).

Sean

Good luck with this experiment. I sort of get why people might do this on their VLX, or something...but on a 150 mph bike? Not trying to be snarky, here. I hope you don't get hurt.

:ttiwwp:

:new_ani::new2_ani::new3_ani::assimilation::pics::pullhair::Smoking::Shocked::Guns:

no it,s not easyto get the tire on the bead ,for me that was the worst part i didn,t grind the wheel or use screws like you would on a drag slickit took 110 psi to get on the bead like i said im to old to be either dragging my bones or blowing them off the tire i used was a 165/80/51 nankang from tires easy. com,way early to know everything seems better than what i had corners better highways are great no problem at all in any situation high seating pressure was biggest problem any questions ill be glad to answer the price of the tire was 40 bucks plus shipping thans for the input poppop

I took the pics and cleaned them up a bit...

cartire1.jpg

cartire2.jpg

cartire3.jpg

cartire4.jpg

Take a really close look at the bead marker around the wheel. If you aren't for sure what I am talking about there is a thin line of rubber that runs around the wheel. It's used to ensure the tire is fully seated and should be the same gap all the way around.

The bead I guarantee will not be correctly seated even if it looks like it is. If it is then the bead is defective. The width is considerably wider on the car wheels (they use a "J" series bead). I sold tires for close to 10 years prior to the current day job.

Sean

Sounds dangerous.....can't imagine loosing a rear tire at highway speeds on a bike. Its bad enough loosing one when you are in your car. Be careful!!

thanks jayhawk for improving the picts the beadline is perfect ,have you noticed that some tires are not truly round, thicker on one side than the other ,like i said earlier,it,s a deccsion you have to make it,s what your happy with,you can google darkside motorcycle mabye that will help any doubters on broke bead no broke bones no problem,ive done auto restoration for ever learned about driveline geometery 30 yrs ago owned my shop at home 13 yrs do i screw up yes ,we all do,im heading for retirment and wan,t to have some fun,its not unsafe,iride my grandchildren on it,i also built a s-10 thats tubed run,s 31/18/50 on the rear got a 454 turbo 400 motor sat back 14 inches sheet metal firewall thanks to all,i appercate the consern,i still ask and learn, not to damn old to do that either,the grand kids ride in the truck to,it,s been built over 5 yrs ago,i post a pic of that if anyone is insered .im gonna crash can,t type now can,t spell,igonna have a beer snack then crash thanks everyone poppop

Yeah, post some pics of the s-10. It sounds awesome!! I have a 91 suburban with the 454 that my elderly father gave me...its sitting in the back yard. I keep eyeballin the 454 and my 59 nash metropolitan!! It would make one hell of a runner with that big block in it! The nash is so small that I can roll up the passenger window from the drivers seat without leaning over! Anybody got a shoehorn?

everything is good bead not broken,no noticeable problems,i try to be as safe as possible my grandchildren ride with me sometimes as well as the wife the high air pressure did seat the bead it balanced up well,i love the control aspect it,s the best it,s ever felt,i belive ill get more than 3000 miles out of it.check out darkside motorcycle ,thanks for the concern poppop

i did tried to get a few better pics it will only let me do 4 at a time and it is a raidial

Last edited:
nobody wan,t s to have a wreck at any speed,nobody smiles during a wreck just a wole lot of ??&&&#!!!%@@&&, the truck is our toy the bike and the truck run real close it,s a 454 punched out 030 550 570 lift cam 3 inch collecters 1 7/8 inch headers 9 inch ford with 370 gears moser spoll and axles34 spline had 28 spline kept ringing them,thanks you all if you ever come to asheville we will ride come home to the house get aniberated its cool here some of them shoot more shit than a doukey gun thats ok too take care all poppop

Last edited:
SHIT POPPOP, WITH THAT " BIG BLOCK " SET BACK SO FAR , I BET YOU CAN ADVANCE THE TIMING DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD !..:punk:AND I WOULD HOPE THAT YOU GET INEBRIATED & TAKE IT DOWN THE ROAD ! ..:rofl_200:

i never mix drinking and driving scared of hurting someone or myself end up at the hospital with a hangover, yes i can set the timing from inside i made a removal panel it s also the best place to do the plug wires,it,s not a show truck ,but it cool for us

I WAS JOKING ABOUT THE DRINKING & DRIVING . BUT NICE TRUCK ! AND USUALLY I'M JUST WORRIED ABOUT HURTING MYSELF , BECAUSE WHEN I'M DOING SOMETHING STUPID , ALL MY FRIENDS ARE SMART ENOUGH TO STAND WAY BACK SO THE ONLY DUMB FUCK TO GET HURT IS ME ! ...:rofl_200::biglaugh::rofl_200:

Back