Carb differences?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turnip

Reaction score
I have gotten my hands on a 1988 Max which has not ran in probably 10 years.

I need to find both front carbs, (#2 and #4 I believe), but I am not sure if I need to find carbs from an 88 or if I can rebuild carbs from any year and just use the original jetting from the 88. Is there any difference in the carb bodies from 85 till 2007(aside from the jetting)?
Just to make the issue a little more complex, the bike and I are from Alberta Canada, and I don't know if the carb bodies were the same between the US and Canada.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as I really don't know what I am doing.

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum! :cheers::welcome_sign: You can use any year carbs off any North American VMax as they are all the same.

Buster, Thanks for both the info and the warm welcome. Keep up the good work on this site.[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

I have gotten my hands on a 1988 Max which has not ran in probably 10 years.

I need to find both front carbs, (#2 and #4 I believe), but I am not sure if I need to find carbs from an 88 or if I can rebuild carbs from any year and just use the original jetting from the 88. Is there any difference in the carb bodies from 85 till 2007(aside from the jetting)?
Just to make the issue a little more complex, the bike and I are from Alberta Canada, and I don't know if the carb bodies were the same between the US and Canada.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as I really don't know what I am doing.

Thanks

Why do you need new carbs?If they are just dirty they can be cleaned.Sean Morley has an ultrasonic cleaner now that can do the whole rack.

I can do the whole thing or I have spare carbs that I can sell him the carb bodies he needs (they would need cleaned which either I or he can do).

Sean

All four carbs had the mixture pilot screws seized into the carb bodies. I attempted to remove one of them, and I damaged the carb body :damn angry:. Because I was 0 for 1, I decided to learn from my mistakes, and I took the other three to a local machinist to see if he could remove them. He did better than I, he was successful on two of three, but the port in the body was damaged on the third.:confused2:

It was after this that fiasco that I found this forum, where it seems that Sean Morley may have successfully done all of them. Like anything, I guess timing is everything.

I have called all of the bike wreckers (that I can find) in Alberta, and most of them in British Columbia, and none of them have any Vmax carbs, most of them don't even have vmax parts. What's with that?

Sean, I will send you a pm, sounds like you may be able to bail me out.:worthy:

Thanks All,
Chris

Latest posts

Back