Choking makes her scream

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdogmason

Reaction score
Choking makes her scream "update"

Hello my old forum fellas, it's been awhile since I've visited this forum but a friend has dropped off his sick vmax and I could use some help.

The symptoms are, will not stay running and dies out.
Turning on the choke makes the rpm's go thru the roof.
Spitting and farting thru the carbs until she reaches about 4k then it will run smooth but only on full choke.

I have currently, synced the carbs, tried to adjust idle with no luck, and have played with af screws. Although the bike ran perfect before this problem, so I was not trying to change settings all that much.

The excessive rpm's on the choke has me baffled, so anyone with a good starting point would be great.

Thanks and it's good to be back sniffing around the vmax world. T

Last edited:
Sounds like one or more jets are plugged. Doing the "shotgun" cleaning procedure on the carbs would be my first suggestion. Do a search to find the link to the procedure.

I have the shotgun procedure printed out and will give it a go, then I will synce again. I will report back in a few days. T

Ok I have done the shotgun and synced carbs, but still having problems. I can get the bike to idle ( sort of ) but giving any gas cause to bogg out and cut off. Using the choke still makes the rpm's go really high. When I get the bike to idle, using the idle adjustment screw doesn't really turn up the idle, it causes the bike to die out just like giving a blip on the throttle. When I went to drain the bowls for the shotgun, I did take note that only the rear left carb actually had gas in it, the others deemed dry or just nothing came from the drain tubes. Any thoughts would be great, and what about the fuel pump, could that be causing this problem. I can take video if anyone thinks it could help. T

The way you describe it , sounds like an air intake problem , i had a similar problem on my carbyrator 640 KTM with the same symptoms like yours. It turn out to me the air valve was malfunctioning allowing to much air in carbs and killing the engine in the end..

Plugged pilot fuel jets. Located in the jet blocks under the smaller rubber plug - they are the smallest jet in the carbs.

Plugged pilot fuel jets. Located in the jet blocks under the smaller rubber plug - they are the smallest jet in the carbs.

Can you elaborate on location and method to reach these little bastards. Ok, I have looked at the Carb Diagrams and it appears that the Jet Blocks are in the Bowl, so I will have to take the Carbs off, but can I seperate the two halfs and just remove the Bowls and clean these jets, or will I have to dismantle the entire carb setup .... T

Yes, split into two halves. You will need to remove the rubber cross hoses to let the bowl covers come off. Then you can remove the floats and get the jet blocks off. The small jet is under the small rubber plug. 90% of all carb problems is related to this jet.

While you are in there you can set the float height too. We have pics on our website, on our FB site, and there are even pics in this forum too on how to set them.

Up and running, it was the jet block jets. Overall the inside looked to be in good shape but the small jets in almost all were gummy. I did struggle awhile with a few things,

One the asshat bowl screws, ended up on one having to dremmel a flat head.
The throttle was a pain to release the cables.
You must have the air box on for a proper tune.

Thanks to everyone for you guidance. On to the next project. T

Back