Clash of Cultures - U.S. & Hungary

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
As you can see in my profile, I live and work in Hungary. My family and I are the first and only Americans to live in our tiny village near the town where I work as an aircraft mechanic. I humbly admit I am blessed to have a job that pays well, but I live in this small village surrounded by rather poor farmers. I've lived here for nearly 6 years now. So many times I try to find ways to help my neighbors with yard work or buying stuff for them from the "bread truck" that rolls through our village every Saturday afternoon. Hungary was under Communism until 1989, but much of the same way of life continues. Under Communism, people were forced to do for others like take care of land or livestock. So I can understand that when I do something for them, they certainly feel obligated to repay me somehow. They do not understand that I absolutely expect no form of repayment.

- The bread truck. I often try to wait for my neighbor to order his bread, then I pay for it. It's usually less than the equivalent of $2. That's beans to me, but substantial for him. The last couple weeks he demanded to pay for MY order. I said "No, it's O.K." This resulted in a shoving match (with good attitude), and he physically held me back while his elderly widowed mother paid. You can probably picture this in your mind.

- I occasionally mow and trim the ditch near the road in front of the neighbor's house while I'm doing mine... it's just a couple more minutes. Because fuel is so expensive here (over $7/gallon), they trim the ditch by hand with a knife or sickle. Today I found MY ditch trimmed. I've got a weed-eater and could have done it in a few seconds. But I know they worked hard at it.

I love these people, but it's awkward to try to be a blessing to them. :confused2:

^ That's very cool of you and Yes, you will have to let them do what they can when they can for you as well.
I think it's great that they show appreciation for what you do for them and return the favor however they can.

Eastern European seem to be either salt of the earth people or Eurotrash criminals. Sounds like you have the former. South FL has plenty of the latter, criminals who are vicious and psychopathic. We also have the 'other type.'

My son who graduated recently from the CA university system married a Bulgarian woman whom he had met while overseas. She just finished a graduate degree in economics from the U of Edinborough, Scotland and now they are living on the west coast of the USA. This is the type of Euro we want to encourage.

The neighbors you have are paying you back in their easiest currency, work. I suggest doing what you are doing and continue to tell them they owe you nothing, and then thank them for their work as repayment. When people are out from under Communism they may not be able to make what you do but they are willing to give sweat equity to honor the debt. I have in my famy someone out from under the yoke of Communist oppression. Their life was horrible even after they escaped. Now they are free. The Communist agenda is to destroy Capitalism. I am not in favor of relaxed relations w/Cuba. Do not vacation there. Do not do business w/a Communist regime because they really do want to destroy capitalism. Those old enough to recall Kruschev pounding on the UN desk w/his shoe should recall his statement. "We will bury you!"

Last edited:
The Communist agenda is to destroy Capitalism.

Yes, agreed. There is no trace of "liberty" or "capitolism" here. I could give you many examples. A list of approved names for your child, a date when heat is turned on and off in buildings (I work at an air base). A new girl arrived from the U.S. to work with us. It was a cold day, and she was immediately brought to a shop to buy socks and a scarf with our Hungarian translator. Strange.

I changed the color of my car (East German Trabant) from tan to metallic RED - painted it myself at home. Holy smokes, you would think I broke the law. That generated FIVE TRIPS to a special modification office 45 minutes away to get a paper that says it's now red. Then I had to re-register the car as red.

Highest VAT tax in Europe - 27%. So ordering anything from Ebay is no good. I've got some parts from Ebay UK with no problems, though.

Auto & motorcycle parts - They ask for your VIN when you need something. You don't just go in and look around. You walk into the shop directly to a desk, usually. Businesses are taxed on items in stock, so they rarely have anything. I've ordered a part before, and arrived a day late to pick it up. They already returned it and had to re-order it.

High taxes and high fuel prices really oppress the people here. It keeps them from stepping out and starting a business. Plus businesses are told BY THE GOVERNMENT what times and what days they can be open. You don't decide yourself.

Wow... I'm rambling. But there's a small peek into this culture.

Sounds kinda terrible to me... definately makes me appreciate living in the U.S. a little bit more. If only we would build our roads properly like they do in Germany and eliminate speed limits....

The people (like myself) that have never been to other countries, have no Idea what its like in an oppressive state. The United States is completely taken for granted by the majority. Until it's gone:bang head:

That is the difference between proud people and self-entitled people. Hungary and the whole Eastern block is full of people like this. They will give you the shirt off their back if you need it and they will also insist on paying their own way. They want to remain debt free and take pride in it. I have not lived over there but I have worked for months at a time in Turkey, Hungary, Czech Republic, Ukraine, and Russia. As a whole the people are great and a blessing to work with. My salary in comparison to the people I was working with was exponentially higher yet I had to fight daily to pay my own way. I was viewed as a guest in their country and it was custom for them to pay for everything it seems. I miss the time I spent with those people, it was a humbling experience.

Back