Closer look

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJ RJ RJ

Reaction score
Guys, just taking a closer look at the "Vmax Awakens" sculpture making the rounds att he various bike shows and a few new things jumped out at me.
First off its clearly a mono shock design, as there is a single shock spring unit jamed between the rear wheel and the swingarm mounts. Interesting.
Its also canted in such a way as to clear the gas tank bottom. there is also a banjo bolt and tube on the shock...for a reserve cylinder or some other from of control?
Second.. that swing arm is hella long!.. if you use the wheel as a reference the arm seems to be a good 6 inches longer than the current arm (more clues to its drag racing intentions)

3rd is that rear diff case... its completly new. The FJR, VMAX and Venture all share the current design. so a retooling here means that this part likely has to work for all three. There seems to be a lot going on back there ..lots of bolts and plates. plus its seems bigger, implying some extra beef and maybe some switchable gears.

velocity stacks seem kinda narrow...could there be a system like on the R1 used here?

anyway..food for thought. I think the new max will be targeted at killing the vrod destroyer and and the busa on dragstrips everywhere.

Guys, just taking a closer look at the "Vmax Awakens" sculpture making the rounds att he various bike shows and a few new things jumped out at me.
First off its clearly a mono shock design, as there is a single shock spring unit jamed between the rear wheel and the swingarm mounts. Interesting.
Its also canted in such a way as to clear the gas tank bottom. there is also a banjo bolt and tube on the shock...for a reserve cylinder or some other from of control?
Second.. that swing arm is hella long!.. if you use the wheel as a reference the arm seems to be a good 6 inches longer than the current arm (more clues to its drag racing intentions)

3rd is that rear diff case... its completly new. The FJR, VMAX and Venture all share the current design. so a retooling here means that this part likely has to work for all three. There seems to be a lot going on back there ..lots of bolts and plates. plus its seems bigger, implying some extra beef and maybe some switchable gears.

velocity stacks seem kinda narrow...could there be a system like on the R1 used here?

anyway..food for thought. I think the new max will be targeted at killing the vrod destroyer and and the busa on dragstrips everywhere.

The swing-arm, diff, driveshaft seem to be architecturally similar to the Moto Guzzi and BMW drivelines.

Yamaha will probably have 'anti-jacking' technology in there somewhere.

The additional length should help keep the nose down when the throttle is snapped open.

The swing-arm, diff, driveshaft seem to be architecturally similar to the Moto Guzzi and BMW drivelines.

ya you'd think that but it dont look like it....those paralever swing arms have double hinge points and radius arms to holf things in line..parallelograms style.

you see the updates to the Need6 web site?....little movie added with Rossi talking about how cool it is to accelerate fast, while his leaning on a 07 vmax..... nice!
Still a trifle weird marketing campaign but its good in the sense that there is activity.

i suspect the delay was all related to changinf the bike to mono shock at the last minute....probably had to retool the swing arm castings etc...usually takes about 6-8 weeks to do a new mold and more for the drawing time so......

Can you post a picture of what you are talking about? all the pictures I've seen has 2 shocks. I can't handle the Need6 site, so I can't take a look there.

Can you post a picture of what you are talking about? all the pictures I've seen has 2 shocks. I can't handle the Need6 site, so I can't take a look there.

here ya go:
http://www.starvmax.com/images/stories/2007TokyoMotor/vmax.rear.shock.detail.jpg

http://www.starvmax.com/images/stories/2007TokyoMotor/vmax.rear.shock.detail2.jpg

this one is my fave...at least 3/4" clearance between tire and arm...and its a 200 tire already...
http://www.starvmax.com/images/stories/2007TokyoMotor/vmax.rear.suspension.jpg

The pictures from that show have quite a few different items than the original picture that shows in the banner on this forum. And even the new pictures show it as a work in progress. I'd be surprised if this bike is ready for release this year.

Latest posts

Back