Clutch question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster Hymen

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
What are the signs of a clutch needing changed besides slippage?

What are the signs of a clutch needing changed besides slippage?

Buster ,Put it in 5th and dump the clutch at 2500-3000.If it stalls, its good if it slips, its bad.Of course, do this from a dead stop on some good pavement or blacktop and be carefull.

Buster ,Put it in 5th and dump the clutch at 2500-3000.If it stalls, its good if it slips, its bad.Of course, do this from a dead stop on some good pavement or blacktop and be carefull.

Well, it isn't my bike so I don't want to beat on it but if you accelerate on the bike in 1st, sometimes 2nd, you get sort of like a grinding noise like the gears are no longer engaged properly. I was wondering if this was a sign of a weak clutch.

When my clutch went out I don't remember any grinding. Perhaps its the tranny?

Mark

Well, it isn't my bike so I don't want to beat on it but if you accelerate on the bike in 1st, sometimes 2nd, you get sort of like a grinding noise like the gears are no longer engaged properly. I was wondering if this was a sign of a weak clutch.

Sounds like rounded dogs to me Buster...

That's exactly what it sounds like...

Thats a good idea. I was in 4th the other day and really got on it, I thought i felt the clutch slip a little. Ill try that tomorrow. :cheers:

Sounds like rounded dogs to me Buster...

That's exactly what it sounds like...

I thought worn or rounded dogs caused it to pop out of gear? This stays in gear but is noisy but if you let off the throttle and give it gas the noise goes away, sort of like the gears "settled" into place.

I thought worn or rounded dogs caused it to pop out of gear? This stays in gear but is noisy but if you let off the throttle and give it gas the noise goes away, sort of like the gears "settled" into place.

Well 4WARND's Vmax did exactly what you are describing... He had bad dogs...

Back