Clutch replacement

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penguin

Reaction score
Just ordered the barnet clutch plates and the spring conversion to fit. Does anyone know what sise the clutch boss nut is so I can make sure I have the right size on hand. Just hate getting it stripped down and finding its a bigger size than I have in the set lol. Any tips or hints would be appreciated

Thanks

Penguin

i don't remember off hand, but i'm not sure you need to just to replace the plates?

Only need to remove the nut to take the basket off.... the pressure plate bolts come off easily. then just pull the clutch pack out...

Be careful when installing the pressure plate bolts. Seems like lots of guys like to snap them. I wouldn't go over 7Nm. I usually just tighten them up "snug" with a 1/4" drive ratchet.

while you are in there I'd upgrade to a newer shift segment.....save the time it will have to be changed anyways....order up parts like the drum and needles for a 2001 for example....or cal sean he would have them

Be careful when installing the pressure plate bolts. Seems like lots of guys like to snap them. I wouldn't go over 7Nm. I usually just tighten them up "snug" with a 1/4" drive ratchet.

Not me! I crank them sumbeetches all the way down to 8Nm. No mercy.

This guide will help you (even though you're replacing the Pressure Plate and Spring with the Barnett Kit):
http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/clutch.htm
Just make sure the Barnett Pressure plate is properly aligned before you tighten every thing back up or the clutch won't engage properly.
Ask me how I know that. ;)

Only need to remove the nut to take the basket off.... the pressure plate bolts come off easily. then just pull the clutch pack out...

+1...you dont need to remove the clutch basket to replace the clutch.

Back