Clutch starter bypass...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnclePhilthy

Reaction score
For lack of better wording...can I get a hand with trouble shooting my clutch switch?

Will not engage starter when in gear (side-stand up)... it used to work for the first few weeks I owned the bike, but now it never will... Has to be in neutral every time before the starter will engage, and sometimes that can be a PITA to find....especially if you're in hurry... 2nd - 1st...1st-2nd... No freakin' neutral in there!!! KnowwhatImean!!???

Clutch otherwise has no issues...just want the damn thing to turn over, when I pull in the clutch...

Thanks y'all!

Uncle Philthy

Uncle, just remove the switch from the left side by unhooking two wires and loosening a couple of screws. Use electrical contact cleaner. Clean the two wires too.

"Uncle, just remove the switch from the left side by unhooking two wires and loosening a couple of screws. Use electrical contact cleaner. Clean the two wires too."

On the l/side where, MarK? Point me to where it's at, and I'll follow your directions to the letter....

Thanks, Philthy

Look on the bottom side of the master cylinder. It's the switch that is about 1" long and held in place with 1 phillips screw. It also has two plugs on it that the wires attach to. If you watch the lever action you will see where the lever pushes the button in and out. You should hear and audible click when it engauges it. Of course if the wires are unhooked that's your problem.

Sean

Fix the safeties don't disable them... I've seen too many people have close calls due to the removal or lack of safeties.

Good luck

Got 'er did!!!

Found and removed switch...the 'plunger' that makes and breaks the circuit was stuck...some good ol' WD40 and several in n' out pushes got it freed up...replaced, and now it works like it should.... Thanks so much again for the guidence gentlemen!

Chris..I sure do agree that keeping 'safeties' in working order is a must...Had the switch been totally FUBAR, I'd have gotten another before I would have 'wired around' it.

Take care y'all!

Uncle Philthy

Back