Clutchless Shifting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarchin

Reaction score
In the February issue of Motorcyclist magazine there is an article that describes how riders/racers? shift gears simply by letting off the throttle for a second to upshift and giving the bike some throttle for a second to downshift without having to use the clutch. Apparently, this throttle movement is just enough to take the pressure off the gears and allows for a smooth shift.

Does anybody here do this? or what are some thoughts about doing this? Seems like it could be a very expensive repair if done wrong.

No problem at all.

Put a little upward pressure on the shifter, then just roll off the gas. It'll click right into the next gear. The trick is having no torque in the transmission, in the split second between "torque TO wheel"(acceleration) and "torque FROM wheel"(engine braking), there's an instant where it's effectively zero, and the gear slips right over since there's no torque locking it in place.

You really can't "do it wrong", it'll either shift or it won't. Worse case you could get a false neutral between gears, but even that would be extremely unlikely, in which case you'd just shift again to complete it.

Downshifting is a touch trickier, but the same idea. While coasting(torque FROM wheel), put alittle downward pressure on the shifter and give the gas a little flick to equalize torque and allow a shift. The difference here is there's just a "feel" for how much gas that flick actually is to try and match the RPM rise.

I'd always clutch the 1-2 shift in the interest of preserving your 2nd gear dogs. (hard power shifts are a known culprit of the blown out 2nds).

Or just use the clutch, it really doesn't matter either way.

Nicely put RaWarrior. :worthy: Totally agree with you on using the clutch for the 1st to 2nd shift. After you get the hang of clutchless shifting... it's actually fun to do and a good skill to master for times when you REALLY want to kick azz !! :punk:

I do it a lot. It is what causes or at least contributes to the 2nd gear dogs wearing.
But hey, what can you do? :biglaugh: I just don't do 1-2. I try and do it perfectly if I do it, and don't usually on the downshifts.

No problem at all.

Put a little upward pressure on the shifter, then just roll off the gas. It'll click right into the next gear. The trick is having no torque in the transmission, in the split second between "torque TO wheel"(acceleration) and "torque FROM wheel"(engine braking), there's an instant where it's effectively zero, and the gear slips right over since there's no torque locking it in place.

You really can't "do it wrong", it'll either shift or it won't. Worse case you could get a false neutral between gears, but even that would be extremely unlikely, in which case you'd just shift again to complete it.

Downshifting is a touch trickier, but the same idea. While coasting(torque FROM wheel), put alittle downward pressure on the shifter and give the gas a little flick to equalize torque and allow a shift. The difference here is there's just a "feel" for how much gas that flick actually is to try and match the RPM rise.

I'd always clutch the 1-2 shift in the interest of preserving your 2nd gear dogs. (hard power shifts are a known culprit of the blown out 2nds).

Or just use the clutch, it really doesn't matter either way.

Excellent post, this one deserves an award for explaining it so well.

It is also call rpm shifting, I do it all the time. I never used my clutch in my semi once I got it moving. Only need the clutch start or stop. I had the same clutch for almost 10 yrs and when it got looked at by the shop mechs look new to them. Now however with a slow reving motor it is very easy to do, now on my max I have changed from 4th to 5th with out the clutch but normally do not make a habit of doing so. I also had a Honda Accord with a 5 speed and would rpm shift it also. The slave cycler went out on the accord, I drove the car for 2 weeks with out a clutch peddle it was on the floor before I could replace it, but I had to replace the starter soon after I had to kill the motor at a light and place in 1st then start car if not on a slight incline.

I don't do it unless I'm racing. I'd rather wear my clutch than wear my tranny!

+1 I follow this path with the clutch , as I'd rather ride than wrench . Changed over to the Barnett a while ago and 0 problems thus far.

Attachments

• # 2 Group Chip 354.jpg
    # 2 Group Chip 354.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 15
yea i do it every once in a while but if you mess it up its a lot easier to replace a clutch than 2nd gear dogs. and i think most guys here would agree do it as little as possible 1-2 shift with the already known 2nd gear issues these bikes can have.

Excellent post, this one deserves an award for explaining it so well.

+1 I second that....I read the explanation and it was as perfect an explanation as could be given without a video to go with it...

I shift the same way often, however Harleys tend to fall into that "false neutral" zone more than any other bike Ive ever done it on. Not sure why

Instead of that you can use a switch bypassing the coils to kill the ignition when shifting its the same effect as cutting throttle but much sharper and safe. Hit the switch and shift then release the switch.

But there's actually nothing wrong with using your clutch! Works everytime and is 100% safe for the gearbox.

It just a wee bit slower hence the choice of clutchless changeup when racing :rocket bike:

But there's actually nothing wrong with using your clutch! Works everytime and is 100% safe for the gearbox.

It just a wee bit slower hence the choice of clutchless changeup when racing :rocket bike:

Aw, c-mon mate! It's all about the cool sound! :biglaugh:
Seamless gearshifts, like a pro. :rofl_200:

baaaaaaAAAAAAAAAA bup bwaaaAAAAAAAAAA bup BWAAAAAAAAAAA :punk:

Back