Comparison - VMax vs Softail

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old timer

Reaction score
After riding the Harley for a couple of weeks I think I can make an educated comparison...there is no comparison...:punk: Totally different in every way is the only thing they have in common . :ummm: I DO like the ride and feel of the Harley in a relaxed , leaned back sort of way . Very little ' instant ' power compared to the ' hang on for your life ' kick in the ass power of the Max . They both have a place on the road and I'm appeciative for the choices they offer me...:worthy:

Attachments

• DSCN3601.jpg
    DSCN3601.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 65
I don't have a Springer or even a Softail. I have a 1200 Sportster that's geared and modded in such a way that it's nearly as fast as a stock Gen I VMax.
Runs flat out at 120 mph but it can get there in short order. As you said, each has a place... Nice Springer you've got BTW....

I rode a 2010 Street Glide for 2 days on my vacation in Wisconsin. I appreciated it for what it was, but I def missed my Max.

The only thing I'll hand HD over my Max is the comfort factor, I rode a buddy's HD bagger for a bit and (at least off idle) it was a very smooth and comfortable highway cruiser. Otherwise it was underpowered, had tank-ish handling, wooden brakes, vibrated like a dildo at idle and got worse mileage than my Max.

So if all I ever did was cruise within the speed limit on highways, money was no object, and performance was no object, then I guess a HD might be a good choice.

Nice bikes!
I loved my VF750F. Fell in love with V4's. :biglaugh:

I've never had a Harley, but if someone gave me a WLA... No point comparing that to a Yamaha!

I like the BMW twins more than H-D although I have only owned an airhead and not an oilhead. The finish on the H-D's is impressive, and their reliability was certainly addressed long-ago. I have been riding long-enough to recall when AMF bought them and the build/reliability issues which came with increasing production instead of working towards fewer defects, and not building-in quality through better design and assembly.

A number of friends have bought new and used H-D's, and I can't say any of them were dissatisfied w/their purchases. One fellow I used to ride with occasionally bought a new Evolution (yeah, awhile ago) and put 20K mi on it in a year w/only normal to-be-expected maintenance, and he rode it as-hard as he wanted. The newest buyer among my friends is another retired firefighter in his 60's who sold his TC 88 H-D & bought a new from-Harley trike so his wife would be more comfortable and he wouldn't have to worry about balancing 800+ lb at stoplights. He's 'vertically-challenged,' a bit shorter than avg. I can't blame him if that's what it takes to enjoy the company of his spouse and to be able to safely ride for years to come.

I rode a buddy's HD bagger for a bit and (at least off idle) it was a very smooth and comfortable highway cruiser. Otherwise it was underpowered, had tank-ish handling, wooden brakes, vibrated like a dildo at idle and got worse mileage than my Max.

This was mostly my impression of the rented Street Glide bagger. I was expecting Tank like handling etc but the thing that surprised me was the mileage. I had always heard that H-D tourers were geared for the open road and sipped gas at legal highway speeds. I found myself filling up considerably more than I had expected to.

I had a beautiful 10th anniversary lowrider that I bought brand new and I loved it! Of course that's a while ago now but I never had any issues with it. My buddy I rode with at the time had a springer softail and we'd switch bikes once in awhile. The softail rode nice but neither compares to the Vmax but their TOTALLY different bikes. I have no problems with Harley or their riders as long as its not the idiot type that thinks anything other than Harley is junk. I get as many compliments from Harley guys as anyone else. And I think my bike shows you can customize a Vmax to look as good or better and have it blow away any Harley in performance. It's just that a few Harley riders kinda put a bad taste in everyone's mouth with their bad attitudes toward other brand bike riders. Ed✨

I don't have a Springer or even a Softail. I have a 1200 Sportster that's geared and modded in such a way that it's nearly as fast as a stock Gen I VMax.
Runs flat out at 120 mph but it can get there in short order. As you said, each has a place... Nice Springer you've got BTW....

my sportster doesn't seem to like to cruise over like 70-75 mph. what mods do people do to get these faster?

not interested in doing them, just curious

my sportster doesn't seem to like to cruise over like 70-75 mph. what mods do people do to get these faster?

not interested in doing them, just curious

There are lots of mods.....some cheap and some crazy expensive.....some work better than others as well....a Sporty can run with a bit of work.....there is one here in town that would give a first gen Vmax owner serious indigestion....But it gets torn down every winter...
start by looking at zippers performance...

In my experience it's best to leave a Harley mostly stock.....you get into mods and reliability and longevity suffer in short order.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back