Convert front turnsignals into running lights?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_max

Reaction score
I just installed a Givi flyscreen (I like it) but it torqued the LED signals I had on there to a point where one was stripped. I temporarily re-installed the factory front indicators.

But, I made me think that I acually like the big lights up front, but would like them even more if I could convert the running lights into hi-intensity auxilliary running lights (and still keep the signals).

If this makes sense to anybody and if it's either been done and documented (or if there's a commercial solution available), please let me know.

Otherwise, I'll have to blaze a trail, I guess.

Thanks!

u better do the r1 rr conversion cause with the stock one u will be draining your bike alot...with the stock vmax rr we look to conserve energy not add it..
Do that rr conversion and trust me never u will have to look backk.....Best thing I did fopr my bike and I did a ton of work...

u better do the r1 rr conversion cause with the stock one u will be draining your bike alot...with the stock vmax rr we look to conserve energy not add it..
Do that rr conversion and trust me never u will have to look backk.....Best thing I did fopr my bike and I did a ton of work...

I don't understand how a differen't R/R can give you more power? I thought the power outut (Watts, not Volts) was determined by the stator. I can see the R/R being more reliable or efficient and keeping your V where its suppposed to be but as far as having extra power available for additional loading wouldn't that requre a different stator?

You're right on the money, Mike. The stator is where the capacity comes from. For me so far, I've not done any charging mods (haven't needed them yet) so am not intimate with the Vmax charging specs.

But, as a EE by trade, a change to the stator might THEN necessitate a corresponding upgrade to the regulation and rectification. A higher input to the stock box over time might not be healthy for it.

Someone more knowledgeable might add correction or detail here, if needed.

For sure, when I add additional high-drain lighting, I might begin to experience charging troubles where, until now, there have been none.

I run a 55/100 watt headlight, and use the 100 watt high beam almost all the time. So there's 40 watts additional over stock and I haven't had any issues with drain. Idling, with high beam and the fan on, the voltage starts to run a bit negative (12.3), but the second the revs pick up you're fine again.

The 100 watt high beam kicks ass also. A lot longer "throw" and better spread over the original bulb, and it was only like $3 on ebay. Been running it for a couple months now with no problems.

Back