Cool online manual but...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you like to get in a pool to get access to this online manual?

• Yes its a great and cheap idea

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • No, i couldn't care less about that and prefer to pay big bucks to the stealer...

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
I'll send them an email and see what they can offer us.

Sorry to say this guys but eventhough i understand what you'all saying you talk and talk but most of you have a copy of the service manual on their hard-drives don't you? And that costs money (and not that little) or even scans from Haynes or Clymer? Isn't that the same thing? One thing being available online doesn't mean its legal to download it and use it/share it...
And i said if that is not possible due to possible rules infringement of the site we can always ask them if we can use on the forum only, doesn't cost to ask...
If even this way you'all think that this is wrong forget all i've said and we go back to our lives...
I just thought it could be of great help to all of us without being costy to all...
So i'll suggest Buster or the Admins get in contact with them and ask them if they're willing to allow for forum use. You can always give them a space/ad here to pay for it. Most of us have more bikes than vmaxs and its a good way to show appreciation and gather clients... Just saying...

I've agreed with everything posted here.
Thanks Fred, it's a good idea, and hopefully buster will get something from his e-mail.

On the point of service manuals... I haven't downloaded one for my max or the car I recently got. I do have what I consider to be a less than legitimate copy of both of them. I say this because the disc's cost under $10 ea.
I really don't understand the law. It seems pretty obvious it's not legal, but they have things like this on the ebay site.

This listing complies with all eBay rules and regulations. The item is either in the public domain, or I own resale rights to it.

Occasionaly it may be covered under the GPL licence

Theres no way I can understand what is right and what is not when that sort of thing is on a legit website. So, whatever we can get away with publicly (like this) I'm OK with. If we need to do it secretly, then I'm out. :biglaugh:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250922005508?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The reason most of the posted scans of copyrighted materials stay online and don't get in trouble is that most copyrights, in the fine print somewhere, allow you to make/have a "backup copy" for your reference. That's how software ROM sites stay up, the ones where you can download pretty much any older videogame for free. You just have to "agree" to a disclaimer that says you already legally own the software, and are just getting this as a backup.

All it would take is for one person to get access and just screencap each page and compile them into a new document. The snipping tool in Windows 7 pretty much defeats the "security" of the online-only viewers.

Loads of people make money on ebay and similar sites with this. They find for free, or make from a legit paper copy a .pdf of some service manual, then print it out or burn it to a disc and sell it for 1/10th what the OE manual costs.

Heard back from the CEO of Cyclepedia and he is a very nice gentleman. He is unable to offer a multiperson account but did offer the following:

"We would love to help your forum users in any way possible. At this time we do not permit multi-user accounts. However, I can offer a 20% discount to all vmaxforum users available only from your website. Would that work for you?"

I think this is a very good offer. I'm waiting for further details on how it would work.

I have a printed/published factory service manual already in-house, but I think this is a fair offer from the guy, and would consider it just for its convenience.

pretty fair offer. do we need a minimum buster?

I downloaded a PDF of the factory service manual with supplements for all the models and their Cal extensions. I traded a XS11 manual for it. It's too big to upload to the forum site so I'm willing to share my find with all but don't know how. The only suggestion I have to transfer large files is through Dropbox. I can send a link for all to sign up and then I can share the file with you for download to you. Or if you have something to share with their site you can download yourself.

Here's the link to the site. When you hit download it will take you through a series of links to upload your file and then it will bring you back to the download spot. It was pretty simple.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/53183871/Yamaha-VMX12-All

Let me know if anyone has any issues and we will figure out how to get my copy to you.

After reading some of your posts on ethics, does anyone think what I'm doing is unethical? If so let me know.

yes if you hit 'edit' on your post next to 'quote' you should be able to delete it then.

page three says it all.

You can always download all but page 3... :rofl_200:

I could bet my next income that more than 90% of us all have the digital copy of the service manual and use it. What is the difference between lending a digital copy or lending the real manual? No one can point fingers if someone borrows the real manual from anyone that has it. If instead of that its a digital copy what is the difference? For the digital copy to be available someone had to scan it right?
I don't know for sure but i could almost bet that no one here has the real service manual that costs $300 plus if i remember well... This is an issue i couldn't care less. All of us complain about the tons of money the stealers rip us off and im all for seriousness BUT what Yamaha does is not serious stuff. Its a rip off...
Much worse than all of this is getting the copy and go to EBay and sell copies of it... That is profiting with something that is not ours...
I know that many people do not agree with me but at least i come forward and say that i have no problem on using the manual copy. To be honest i used it like less than a handful of times... :ummm: :biglaugh:

Not having the manual is a pain. But who has the yam original?
I didnt get it with the bike so I got a copy. But I bought the clymer.
Not everything we do is clean but I guess nobody is really abusing and reselling manuals on ebay lol.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

So suddenly I don't feel as bad as I did a few dayas ago posting this. Besides, what I did to get the manual was legit. Sending you to the link that I git from is legit too. I shared a piece of info with my friends.

From what I see this IS the 405 page official Yamaha service manual. Has anyone gone to the site and gotten it? Let me know what you see. Sean, I'm sure you would know, right?

Anyway, Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!!!

Latest posts

Back