Cooling question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RowdyMax

Reaction score
Hey gents... Been doing some research on the subject but still left with a question.

I believe my fan is not cycling on and want to know how to troubleshoot. Could it be a blown fuse? Can I actuate the fan somehow by bumping it electrically?

A little history...2005 with 12 K Km's (7200 miles)

The bike operates at a normal operating temp when cruising, but the temp will climb when in congested traffic. It has never reached the red yet, but appears that it would if I don't get out of traffic to cool her down. With other bikes I've owned, I could hear the fan cycle on and off as required. But I've never heard the fan cycle on my max, which strikes me as odd.
The bike was meticulously maintained by its previous owner so I don't believe neglect to be an issue.
Reading about how some of you guys in the southern states have normal operating temps while in southern summer heat leaves me wondering if my fan may be an issue. Our climate is mild by comparison.

Any thoughts re: troubleshooting the fan?
Thanks guys!

Rowdy, on a stock max the fan won't switch on until the needle is to that red arrow. You can check a couple of things. First, check the fan fuse in the fuse box. Next, unplug the fan connector on the left side and jump power to it using the battery. The 2 pin connector is on the left side near the coil. The only other thing it could be is a bad fan switch.

I had the same thoughts about my 06 but it will come on at or very near to the red. I am assured by my Yamaha mech that this is OK. I still went ahead and installed a manual switch just for my own piece of mind. I just turn it on before I get into slow traffic and she'll stay in the "normal" area all day. Not to worry.

ROWDYMAX , SCROLL DOWN TO GENERAL A MAX QUESTIONS & CLICK ONTO " TO HOT " A BUNCH OF PEOPLE HAVE RESPONDED TO THIS ISSUE IN THIS THREAD !:punk:

Thanks for the feedback fellas.
I like the idea of adding a manual switch to assist as necessary.
It's also the heart of fishing season here LOL, so I'll tinker when time allows. It puts my mind at ease a bit to know this issue is nothing too serious.

Rowdy

Back