COPs or New Boots / Wire?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m-cman

Alien Abductee
Reaction score
I am having trouble deciding how to update my plug wiring. I need to be confident I can take long trips without being stranded and just haven't been able to get there after reading every post on COPs. No one seems to have taken a long trip yet (I have taken 3 trips of 3500 miles in 7 days each and quite a few slightly shorter). Even bought a set of COPs with harness but haven't installed. They are 2003-2004 R1 COPs which were supposed to be Denso according to the Birdoprey list but turned out to be Mitsubishi. Some have had problems with Mitsu units so am reluctant to install.

I am wavering between new NGK SD05F boots with high quality 7mm wires and Denso COPs. Any recommendations or insights?

I had crappy ol' boots and wires on mine, but nice newish coils, and went the COP route with longer Denso ones from fleaBay and a wiring harness from birdoprey.

It's been about 5000 miles and I haven't had a single ignition problem yet. Unless you're running a dyna3000 I don't think you can go wrong.

I did hear about the Mitsubishis having problems, can't comment as I've never tried them.

M-C i'm in the same boat as you. I'd like to move over to them esp now to make some room for my aux fuel pump on the rear ones. plus i could always carry a spare

just can't pull the trigger (have it already to go as well) after the stupid mitsu problems I was having.

I had crappy ol' boots and wires on mine, but nice newish coils, and went the COP route with longer Denso ones from fleaBay and a wiring harness from birdoprey.

It's been about 5000 miles and I haven't had a single ignition problem yet. Unless you're running a dyna3000 I don't think you can go wrong.

I did hear about the Mitsubishis having problems, can't comment as I've never tried them

Not any more...

I am having trouble deciding how to update my plug wiring. I need to be confident I can take long trips without being stranded and just haven't been able to get there after reading every post on COPs. No one seems to have taken a long trip yet (I have taken 3 trips of 3500 miles in 7 days each and quite a few slightly shorter). Even bought a set of COPs with harness but haven't installed. They are 2003-2004 R1 COPs which were supposed to be Denso according to the Birdoprey list but turned out to be Mitsubishi. Some have had problems with Mitsu units so am reluctant to install.

I am wavering between new NGK SD05F boots with high quality 7mm wires and Denso COPs. Any recommendations or insights?

Last year I went on a 1000+ mile weekend trip to Vegas with the Girl Friend on the back of the bike and never once had a problem with my COPs. Put several thousand more miles since then and only had one go bad on me and it was a Mitsubishi. Now all of them are the tall Denso units and with several thousand more miles since the change not one problem at all.

Latest posts

Back