Corbin seat installed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josephjhaney

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I installed the corbin seat that I got from Steve, it's awesome! Also put on the stock shifter from a 2nd gen vmax (the 1st gen has the adjuster coming up from the shift lever, the 2nd gen has it going down, the previous owner had modded my footrests to put them back farther, so I had to find a shifter that would match). So far so good!

Attachments

• corbinseat.jpg
    corbinseat.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 124
  • shifter.jpg
    shifter.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 110
So, I installed the corbin seat that I got from Steve, it's awesome! Also put on the stock shifter from a 2nd gen vmax (the 1st gen has the adjuster coming up from the shift lever, the 2nd gen has it going down, the previous owner had modded my footrests to put them back farther, so I had to find a shifter that would match). So far so good!
The seat looks good on your bike. I'm glad you like it. The shifter is some good innovation too.
Steve-o

The thing I liked about the Corbin was not having to attach it , it fit so well you could tip the bike upside-down and it wouldn't fall off...of course I jest :biglaugh:...but it's true . Also made it extra easy to fill up by taking the seat off instead of going thru that stupid access hole with the 'cork '...:confused2:

The thing I liked about the Corbin was not having to attach it , it fit so well you could tip the bike upside-down and it wouldn't fall off...of course I jest :biglaugh:...but it's true . Also made it extra easy to fill up by taking the seat off instead of going thru that stupid access hole with the 'cork '...:confused2:

This one came with an aftermarket gas cap and a nice extender, so it works fine with the flap. I could just take it off too, which would be fine. It does fit very snug, it didn't come with bolts, and I meant to go get some nice stainless ones, but it seems to be stuck on there pretty solid, so we'll see. I do like it, and I think I'm going to keep it (I had some doubt, due to the previous owner moving the pegs back, as to if it would scrunch up my legs too much) but so far it feels fine.

The smallest backrest from Corbin also looks and works great too. I think better than the factoryOEM backrest. ALTHOUGH the Yamaha I will concede, you're able to carry more strapped for touring.

Attachments

• corbin on vEXmax.jpg
    corbin on vEXmax.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 40
  • corbin backrest.jpg
    corbin backrest.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 47
Not the most fond of the looks of the seat. But if it is as comfortable as claimed, I would like to find a Max with the Corbin seat, and try it out. Yes, I do find the stock seat quite comfortable, but with what I want to do with the bike, I might be willing to sacrifice looks for comfort.

Since it stays solidly secure without having to bolt it down, have you considered getting some sort of either chromed or polished black plugs to cover the mounting holes in the side?

The Corbin seat us MUCH more comfortable for long haul rides. It's harder than factory, but the shape makes it comfortable. It adds quite a few pounds to Max compared to the factory too. So much for the gains by losing the factory exhaust system for a 4 into 1.
The Corbin with the cheese wedge is easier to fill dino than the vinyl flap of old design, but it's not easier than OEM. I love my Corbin.

Biker Dash if you want to make the stock seat more comfortable you could just reshape it yourself.
It's surprisingly easy to do.
I did mine about 12 years ago and I'm still happy with it.
I've ridden quite a few 6 to 8 hour rides with it since and it's MUCH more comfortable than the stocker ever was.
I'm 6'1" so I actually reshaped it to fit my body and added some foam to the butt area to add a bit of height/padding to it.

You can use this guide:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/55030067/DIY%20Cutdown%20Vmax%20Seat%20by%20BikeDave99.pdf

And info from this site:
http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/modify.htm

I attached a picture of my seat vs. the stock seat for a comparison.

Attachments

• 2000-Vmax-Stock-vs-Modified-Seat-768.jpg
    2000-Vmax-Stock-vs-Modified-Seat-768.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I'm 6'1" so I actually reshaped it to fit my body and added some foam to the butt area to add a bit of height/padding to it.

Not that I really dwelled on checking out your ass...but...as I recall you had a somewhat boney ass...therefore the additional padding...just saying...:confused2:

Good job on the OEM sculpted seat. Looks a million times better!
The Corbin suits my 6'3", 220 lbs fat ass quite well. Now if only I could figure a way of making the Gen 1 look suited for my height without having to upgrade to the Gen 2.

Not that I really dwelled on checking out your ass...but...as I recall you had a somewhat boney ass...therefore the additional padding...just saying...:confused2:

Very true, I do have a boney ass.
I am definitely pretty slim. :D

I'm 5'4"@130lbs, so adding height is not a good thing for me lol
You don't have to add height, you could easily cut it down to better fit you.

Good job on the OEM sculpted seat. Looks a million times better!
Thanks.

I had a Corbin on my 94. Being 5'8" I found that the seat comfortable, but much wider than other seats it pushed my legs wide and made it harder to get a nice firm footing when stopped. If you were taller I guess it wouldn't be a factor. It does look good on your bike, congrats.

Matt

I had a Corbin on my 94. Being 5'8" I found that the seat comfortable, but much wider than other seats it pushed my legs wide and made it harder to get a nice firm footing when stopped. If you were taller I guess it wouldn't be a factor. It does look good on your bike, congrats.

Matt

Yeah... this just killed the Corbin seat for me

Back