Coughing/Sputtering

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The floats in a vmax are very finicky,Too low and it runs lean,Too high and it runs rich.I have never really encountered this on any other bike of mine.
There is a float bowl drain screw on each carb.The four black hoses (2 on each side)are attatched to the bowl drains.You put a piece of clear hose over the black hose,open the drain screw.There is a line on the body of each carb that you have to hold the hose up to then measure down to the fuel level.The bike must be level. (A SHOP MANUAL CAN EXPLAIN THIS BETTER THAN i CAN). It is easier ,specially if floats need to be adjusted to do this on a level bench with some type of fuel bottle and hose to gravity feed each carb one at a time.
I set mine up one time measuring the float hieght dry and ended up way too rich,I reset them dry again and am still too rich.My needles are richer than most.This is not an easy thing to do properly but it is important to get it running strongly.Somehow I haven't had to mess with anything on mine for almost 3 months and it is running very strong,it just takes 5-10 minutes to warm up before cranking on it with my stage 7.

shawn kloker said:
The floats in a vmax are very finicky,Too low and it runs lean,Too high and it runs rich.I have never really encountered this on any other bike of mine.
There is a float bowl drain screw on each carb.The four black hoses (2 on each side)are attatched to the bowl drains.You put a piece of clear hose over the black hose,open the drain screw.There is a line on the body of each carb that you have to hold the hose up to then measure down to the fuel level.The bike must be level. (A SHOP MANUAL CAN EXPLAIN THIS BETTER THAN i CAN). It is easier ,specially if floats need to be adjusted to do this on a level bench with some type of fuel bottle and hose to gravity feed each carb one at a time.
I set mine up one time measuring the float hieght dry and ended up way too rich,I reset them dry again and am still too rich.My needles are richer than most.This is not an easy thing to do properly but it is important to get it running strongly.Somehow I haven't had to mess with anything on mine for almost 3 months and it is running very strong,it just takes 5-10 minutes to warm up before cranking on it with my stage 7.
I can try that....only 1 small problem tho.... that "plastic" elbow one one carb that the black hose attatches to is broken off.... the end of it is brke.
Are they replaceable?
I looked at the micro fiche online and didnt see them listed.
If they are replaceable, does anyone have 1 they wanna sell to me?

You might have to replace that carb although I thought that Sean Morely has repaired this problem before.

They are replaceable, I used a locking pliers to pull it out. Sean Morley gave me an extra he had.

Latest posts

Back