Cracked coils

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1967vmax

Reaction score
My 02 vmax has 3 cracked coils seems to run great also noticed when i removed the nology wires to get repaired that the 1 coil was corroded pretty bad as well as the wire,Should i replace the cracked coils? JIM 3933

Until they works fine - no.

Mine where cracked badly but still works great.

You may notice the problems with cracked coils when you meet the rain, at least if you're rinding in the rain?

Until they works fine - no.

Mine where cracked badly but still works great.

You may notice the problems with cracked coils when you meet the rain, at least if you're rinding in the rain?

i put some silicone sealant on 'em.

i had a yamaha maxim x that sufered that same afliction.... i covered the coil bodies with PLSTI_DIP liquid tape. seals em right up:punk:

i had a yamaha maxim x that sufered that same afliction.... i covered the coil bodies with PLSTI_DIP liquid tape. seals em right up:punk:

fan-fucking-tasitc idea

Good idea :punk:

Personaly I just replace them with COP's :D

i did too, then my bike ran like SHIT! bad R1 COPs i think tho, mark hooked me up with new ones tho. waiting 'til the bike is properly tuned then going back to them to ensure one change at a time.

I talked with John at PCW about this. Cracked V Max coils are very common (he didn't say why) and don't seem to hurt anything.

My '99 had 3 out of 4 cracked coils and ran great....prolly 4 out of 4 actually....I just never removed the #2 cylinder coil to check.

Yes, it is very common and silicon, or the noted plasti-dip will seal them up just fine and help for any wet they may be exposed to.

Sean

I talked with John at PCW about this. Cracked V Max coils are very common (he didn't say why) and don't seem to hurt anything.

My '99 had 3 out of 4 cracked coils and ran great....prolly 4 out of 4 actually....I just never removed the #2 cylinder coil to check.
You should have a easier time of removing that leftover #2 coil if you just wait until the next time you do some steering head bearing maintenance!:biglaugh:

I want to switch to COPS but i have invested into the nology wires and like the look, Anybody know if i can us coils from a 1990 venture?

3 or my 4 were cracked at 4 years old, I replaced 'em but there wasn't anything wrong with them....

As the coil ages the molded plastic cover dries out and becomes brittle then when the coil expands from heat the plastic cracks. No biggie, seal as noted.

I have a question.......
My bike was running exactly like it had a bad coil, Yamaha wanted too much money so I ordered the Exactrep version. Thats where the problem began.... the Exactrep coils are hard wired, you have to put a boot on, also you have to salvage the wiring and solder it on to the new coils!!! This was supposed to be a simple fix that has now turned into a whole new project.
Has anyone done this exchange??? Please don't mention going to COPs, not doing it! Old coils have cracks in them along the bottom.....And to add insult to injury, I have the pricey Nology wires that match my bikes color, look killer....but noooooooo.....I got to use the ones that are hard wired into the new Exactrep Coils.....Frustrating. Still have to check the spark plugs and make sure one of them didn't crack, but they are new, and once again the high end Eridium plugs to boot. Anyone out there have some advice, I am all ears.
Thanks

Back