Cracking Noise from Exhaust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cybergrizzly

Reaction score
My 1998 Vmax runs ok, but I hear a "cracking" sound when idling the engine and it comes from both mufflers at different times. Other than than, everythings checks ok. I replaced the spark plugs but the sound still comes out the exhaust. The old spark plugs came out with some carbon built-up. Got this Vmax about 5 months ago and the previous owner neglected to maintain the bike. It is like within the standard rumbling of the engine exhaust, all of the sudden a crack or spat comes out.

Any ideas about the "cracking" sound ? I don't think is normal. Read somewhere that a cracked exhaust seal or loose exhaust pipe could cause some sound like this.

Posting image of the previous spark plug set. The bike has new spark plugs now. Could it be spark plug wires? Should I be worried that something bad is cooking and I should stop riding the bike?

Thanks,

Attachments

• plugs.jpg
    plugs.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
If it sounds like hesitation or spitting or occasional miss, it is pretty normal. There are 6 first gen V-Maxes in my riding group and they all do to some degree. Almost like a carb backfire. It is only occasionally though, not all the time. The louder your muffler the less noticeable.. :biglaugh:

The two outer plugs don't look too bad RH middle looks like there may be a bit of oil burnt on it (?) and LH middle is, as you suspect, too rich.

Start by checking the basics i.e. that HT leads and caps are in good condition and not arcing, change all of the filters and balance the carbs.

For the fouled plug I would start by checking that the choke plunger is shutting off.
If the tamper proof plugs have been removed then set the fouling cylinder to 2 1/2 turns out. NB: Use a well fitting screwdriver and if the screw won't turn let it soak in some penetrating oil before trying again.

I think you need to sort that issue before worrying about the exhaust noise (and they may be related).

The two outer plugs don't look too bad RH middle looks like there may be a bit of oil burnt on it (?) and LH middle is, as you suspect, too rich.

Start by checking the basics i.e. that HT leads and caps are in good condition and not arcing, change all of the filters and balance the carbs.

For the fouled plug I would start by checking that the choke plunger is shutting off.
If the tamper proof plugs have been removed then set the fouling cylinder to 2 1/2 turns out. NB: Use a well fitting screwdriver and if the screw won't turn let it soak in some penetrating oil before trying again.

I think you need to sort that issue before worrying about the exhaust noise (and they may be related).

Totally agree with the above...especially the 2nd plug from left running too rich is probably the big culprit........I'd start with tuning enough to keep the plugs burning correctly then reassess the bike. Especially cleaning the carbs (idle circuits & a/f passages minimum) to some degree. Seems to be a common theme here.........

Thank you, Fellows

I numbered the spark plugs when pulling them out so I would know the condition of each cylinder and how it was running. Yes, it is like a spitting sound from the mufflers. All comments make sense. Will check the mix and filters, next step. Probably replace the spark plug wires if the mix and filters don't help.

Thanks,:punk:

Swap the plug wire to a cylinder that has a cleaner plug reading. Coil too. My gut feeling is
excess fuel in that cylinder. Vmax plugs are difficult to read. A throttle chop is best. All cylinders
look on the rich side. IMHO
Steve-o

Latest posts

Back