Craigslist scammers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eugene Brad

Reaction score
Holy crap I've had my bike in CL for two days and have gotten 20+ texts all scammer crap. Ya know " I'm comfortable with price I will send you a check...blah blah blah"
I am wondering if anyone has gotten this though..
Your craigslist account is reported for fraud, please confirm your account here: ht tp://craigslist.review-sale.com/.

I have not clicked the link with the thought that craigslist probably would have emailed me, right? Not text? Anyway first time getting that one.
Scammer or virus or something?
Any ideas

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Holy crap I've had my bike in CL for two days and have gotten 20+ texts all scammer crap. Ya know " I'm comfortable with price I will send you a check...blah blah blah"
Your craigslist account is reported for fraud, please confirm your account here: ht tp://craigslist.review-sale.com/.

I have not clicked the link with the thought that craigslist probably would have emailed me, right? Not text? Anyway first time getting that one.
Any ideas

I tried to space the link so it wouldn't come up as a link. Looks like that didn't work. Don't click the link. Sorry guys

It`s a copy of the CL site. Links you through to another site and asks you to login to harvest your CL credentials. (Certified ethical hacker here, so I know what i`m doing :) )

It`s a copy of the CL site. Links you through to another site and asks you to login to harvest your CL credentials. (Certified ethical hacker here, so I know what i`m doing :) )
Lol. Thanks for the info

Any ideas

The link tells you it's not from craigslist. If it was from craigslist, the URL link would be craigslist.com where this link is review-sale.com . The craigslist part is just a sub domain of review-sale.com. Review-sale.com was probably hacked and the hacker made the sub domain craigslist. Also the default domain name of craigslist is craiglist.org .

The link tells you it's not from craigslist. If it was from craigslist, the URL link would be craigslist.com where this link is review-sale.com . The craigslist part is just a sub domain of review-sale.com. Review-sale.com was probably hacked and the hacker made the sub domain craigslist. Also the default domain name of craigslist is craiglist.org .
Good to know. Thanks

I stopped putting my phone # in ads for that exact reason. Tons of spam texts and phone calls. I even tried "disguising" the number, like doing "f1ve one 8, twentysix", ect to spell out the number, but that didn't really seem to help much. There's obviously "bots" that comb CL ads for phone numbers and fire off automated texts/calls, but I think a lot of it is actually manually done.

I use the CL mail relay only, and put in the ad "Email with a phone # and I'll call you back". If the email doesn't include a phone # it's instantly deleted. I've found this to be pretty effective.

A recent scam going around now on CL (done via text or email, heard of both), will have a seemingly legitimate buyer contact you. The English is reasonably good, not the usual broken jumbles spit out of a translator. They ask a couple vague-ish questions- something like "engine runs good?" or "tires are good?", before sending a story about how they got burned on a vehicle that was in an accident, and say they're ready to buy as long as you can provide them a clean carfax-type report. They suggest a site that's cheaper than carfax and they believe is reliable.
Of course they provide a link to a website (it's a fake version of a little-known but legitimate report service) that prompts you to buy a report for $10 or whatever. Of course the goal is for you to enter CC information to buy the report.

As mentioned, always check the address bar carefully.

I’ve had ones where it’s a real person who sends a verification code and says they want to make sure you’re for real and ask you to read their code back to them. If you do text that code back they somehow get control of your CL ad I think.

I’ve had ones where it’s a real person who sends a verification code and says they want to make sure you’re for real and ask you to read their code back to them. If you do text that code back they somehow get control of your CL ad I think.

I've heard of something similar where they are trying to hack/steal your Google(or paypal) account. It generally means they got your password somehow, but Google won't allow a sign-in on a new computer without getting an authorization code (similar to Facebook). The scammer will have some cover story about they need to verify you are a real person or something and they will send you a google verification code. What that means is they attempt to log in, and Google sends you the "is this really you?" email with a code in it. Which the scammer then wants you to read back to them so they can access your account. Many people have CC's or purchasing power through Google. Even if the scammer can't see actual CC numbers, they can still go on a shopping spree.

I always specify CASH only - no checks or wire transfers of any kind. That at least cuts down on some of the scammers.

I've got a couple vehicles on CL right now. Folks send me a text saying they will pay me 1/2 of the list price CASH if I sell today.

I always reply the same: Price is firm per the ad. Cash is the only payment option accepted. It's not an incentive to lower the price.

What do people think? I'll take a check or process a CC?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm not sure some of them actually think. I had one guy over two AR-15's in trade for a sportster.

1. They would have to be mother**king sweet AR's
2. I only buy firearms from legit businesses. More expensive that way, but no "Imperial Entanglements" down the road.

I've got a couple vehicles on CL right now. Folks send me a text saying they will pay me 1/2 of the list price CASH if I sell today.

I always reply the same: Price is firm per the ad. Cash is the only payment option accepted. It's not an incentive to lower the price.

What do people think? I'll take a check or process a CC?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Never quite understood that either- not sure why they think you're going to offer up a huge discount because they have actual money in hand. As opposed to what? Monopoly money? Two chickens and a goat? An I-O-U?

I've taken checks in rare cases at my discretion. An elderly gentleman in his 70s, who gave me a tour of his collection/small museum of bikes I was fairly inclined to trust, and since it was a couple hours away, I took the check but held the title, and got a copy of his DL. Of course the check cleared fine, and I mailed him the title afterward.

A lot of replies on CL just want your email address, which is why they ask you to email to a personal email, even though emailing back and forth through CL works just fine.

Back