Custom Billet Cranks and Rods

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

one2dmax

Staff member
Reaction score
Well Guys,

Looks like I have "hit the jackpot" so to speak. I did finally find a manufacturer (overseas) that will custom make a 4340 forged steel crank for us. We give them the specs and they will make it.

The minimum order is 10 cranks which is way out of my budget to buy for shop stock. Anyone interested needs to start letting themselves be known on the thread here. I will sell them at my cost which will end up being $1300 plus shipping. Sounds like a ton of money but when you look at the OEM crank cost it's a bargain.

We can get them done as a stroker or stock but all 10 must be the same at first. Once we get past the first 10 I am not sure but they may start letting me get them in smaller batches. They say the crank is rated for 1200 hp which is way more then we will ever put to one.

They will also make me 4340 H Beam rods. Price for OEM length is around $500-$600 for the full set plus shipping. Custom length sets can be made too but they did not give me a price. I want to say not much different but they have to be ordered in qty's of 7 sets or more. They say the rods are good for 800+ hp which again is far more then we can produce.

So for somewhere around $2000 or so you can have a killer bottom end (not counting pistons).

Sean Morley
Morleys Muscle
[email protected]

Wow, very good find :clapping:

I wish to have 2k bucks and order it instantly :D
Maybe late winter...

4340 so its 36HNM in europe, i have a bunch of this material.
Wish to have 4 axis cnc machine and fabricate my own crank :)

This crank seems like a good way to go for the stroker talked about in the LYCAN engine build. Has anyone figured how much stroke can be increased?

Jim N

Have not verified the stroke potential but Bill at Wild Brothers has noted he will buy 1 for sure and possibly 2, provided we get a 5mm stroke crank (2.5mm on each side of the throw). He noted that a similar crank is being sold overseas for like $3000-$4000.

Sean

You're killing me man!! This might just be part of next year's mod budget. Am thinking that I could shave the heads a wee bit to up the compression to ~13:1 or so with a set of those rods and a crank:biglaugh:. Have forged pistons already and will just need to freshen up the engine a bit by then. Of course then comes the head work............. where does it end:ummm:

Have you tried heat treating them? I did a set probably 12 years ago and they held up pretty well but not nearly as much power being put to them. If I remember correctly you want about 67 rockwell. This does require some other machine/grinding work as the parts swell/shrink and need to be opened back up to fit on the shafts well.

Sean

Back