damn $%!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ski3747270

Reaction score
Okay,

Here are the symptoms...

1. Bike ran for about 4 minutes on the road, then started backfiring loudly. This may or may not have happened after I turned on my tboost, but then continued after I switched it off while riding. Speed was initially 25-30, then I upped it to about 60. It backfired all the way home.

2. Brought it into the garage and changed all the plugs.
the 2 on the choke lever side were very carbon fouled, and the 2 on the other side looked alright. I have never changed plugs with 10,000 miles.

3. After new plugs installed, I was ready to do another shakedown cruise, but before I could get her on the road, severe smoke started pouring from the exhaust manifold from the right rear pipe (joint I think).

I have ridden the bike recently with no issues like this.
It has not been sitting for longer than a week in the garage during the cold kansas winter without starting or riding.

Just changed all the cables to stainless, and wanted to check the seals, and how much of an improvement these cables made.
Incidentally, for those reading my other posts, I have no more leaking from the rear brake master.

If its not one thing on this bike, its something else.
I really am at my wits end for having a smooth running bike that not only looks good, but can run consistently without new problems arising.

If it matters, I have a 96, did the shotgun prior to the winter, and have the CRAPPY cobra slip ons.

I just dont understand how this can pop up without anything happening besides changing plugs....
Please help before I donate the bike to the great barrier reef restoration project.

Chris

Hey Chris,
Did you stabilize the gas in some way before parking it? I would run about 4-6 ounces of Seafoam in the tank and get those carbs cleaned out. You may have water in your fuel too...:confused2:

No stabilizer was used, as I rode fairly often. Last weekend there were no issues....so I decided it probably isnt the gas.

How can I determine if there is water in the line?

Any correlation to the unexpected smoking exhaust?

Latest posts

Back