Deployment

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DakRatFink

Reaction score
I'm hopping on a plane tonight to do a couple of months overseas. (Thank goodness we are bringing people home from Iraq and the various 'Stans, but business as usual for our interests in Asia and the Pacific)
Anyway as this relates to bikes and the forum. I opted NOT to "pickle" the bikes for storage this winter but rather keep the tanks full of Sta-bil treated gas and start them every few day. My lovely wife is more than comfortable with dealing with this.
So, given the harshness of ND winters how often should I have her start them? up till this point I have gone with "every couple of days"; however we have only had a few nights that have reach single digit -0 F temps so far.

Put a battery tender Junior on the battery if you have time.

Remember to refill during the winter with Stabil treated gas.

If you had the Junior, I would start once a month, not at all below 30 degrees.

I run Stabil through, drain the floats, fill the tank with Stabil treated fuel, hook up the Junior and let it sit, have the bike on the centerstand also.

O

Last edited:
why not below 30 degrees? if you run them 'til they warm up i can't see an issue with that. i've ridden into the twenties and i know kj rides even colder.

FWIW I'd avoid starting it as often as you're suggesting - the quick temp rise and fall might have the unintended consequence of increasing condensation inside the engine & exhaust, leading to some rust etc. Plug in a trickle-charger, add the fuel stabilizer and forget about it until the Spring. Put some wood or cardboard under the tires to reduce the dry spots if sitting on concrete, and put it on the center stand if possible. And, be a good ambassador of our country while you're away :) Good luck with the deployment, and thanks for your service.

I'd say every few days is excessive too. i'd say once every 6 weeks or so. but thats all opinion.

I top all the fluids including fuel, stick em out in the shed w/wooden floor and won't touch them again until April................................Tom.

I'm not a fan of starting them when it's cold either. Starting and driving a bike is a lot different than starting, letting it idle for awhile and shutting it back off.

Top off the tank with marine (green) Stabil-ized gas, put a float charger on the battery, cycle the fuel pump every couple weeks to keep the float chambers full & wood planks, or similar, under the tires.

DakRatFink: Thank You and be safe no matter where you're headed...

I've never had to store a bike for Winter..:confused2:

Best of luck to you over seas. Keep us informed if you get enough computer time. And be safe Bro.
You're bike sounds like it'll be ok. +1 Dan-o on keeping the carbs full. I like to run till warmed up once every couple of weeks. Keep the oil film on internal parts. Dries
the moisture build up and condensation. A heated area I'd start less often. Store with clean oil. Dirty oil is corrosive. Yes, Stabilizer is your friend. IMHO
Steve

i'm not a fan of starting them when it's cold either. Starting and driving a bike is a lot different than starting, letting it idle for awhile and shutting it back off.

Top off the tank with marine (green) stabil-ized gas, put a float charger on the battery, cycle the fuel pump every couple weeks to keep the float chambers full & wood planks, or similar, under the tires.

+1

Be safe buddy, well get together in the spring and do some rides... i agree with the battery tender, and dont start it at all... drain the bowls, fill the tank with treated fuel and leave it...

peace,
evan...

Thank you all for the well wishes and thanks for your thanks. Evan, big will do come spring

I would not let the carbs dry out. Thats when o-rings crack and leak and you get all sorts of tough to identify carb problems.

Once every couple weeks is sufficient. Start it, let it run for 10-15 min or until the fan comes on, rev it up several times(get gas flowing through all the circuits), and shut it off. Use the marine sta-bil in the gas, and keep the tank topped up.

Avoid quick start-stops. If you start it, let it warm up.

Latest posts

Back