Dialing my carbs in (stage one kit)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auggie_1970

Reaction score
In my never ending quest to continue to fine tune my carbs, I not sure whats causing what I would refer to a cough or missing at 6K .

What happens is from about 5700 if I wack the throttle wide open, I get a quick stumble/cough/miss that clears right up. Sometimes it does it , sometimes it doesnt..Call me crazy but almost seems as if it doenst do it nearly as often if the switch is set to reserve..

Anyhow some history on the bike its got stage 1 in there from PO, so the slides were drilled. I assume Stage one springs..I went down to 155 mains, and I think I'm third down form the blunt end of the needle. Pilot screws are at 2.75-3 turns out (cant remember last setting) . I put a set of Dale Walker holeshots, K&N, and removed the Y..

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should be looking at to get rid of this miss/hestitation?

I might just try putting back the Y and see how it reacts to that..

Anyone understand the impact stage 1 springs have verses stock?

I'm a bit puzzled. Dont get me wrong bike runs great, just know there's a little room for improvement

Re: h

I'd put the stock needle and springs in, and use the 155's and turn the idle air screws 3-4 turns from seated.

Stage one is a POS.

You may need to space the stock needles one washer but it may not be needed.

Chris

Find the nearest garbage can, rip that Stage 1 kit out of your carbs, and promptly toss it in said garbage can!! Go back to stock or get a Morley Muscle kit, if you have an aftermarket exhaust otherwise go back to stock! Don't worry if you have drilled the slides as all that will do is speed up the throttle repsonse of the slides a bit.

Just out of curiosity , what about the stage 1 is crap, is it the needles, or is it the springs or is it the combination of them.. If your sayinig the bike will run better then it is now, then Seans getting a call this morning :)

Not 100% as to why this kit is so disfunctional. In theory it is very mild and should work well, but in fact almost everyone I know, including myself, who has tried this kit has promptly removed it from their bike due to tuning issues. My thoughts are that it is a combination of the jets and needles that are causing the problems with it.

Not 100% as to why this kit is so disfunctional. In theory it is very mild and should work well, but in fact almost everyone I know, including myself, who has tried this kit has promptly removed it from their bike due to tuning issues. My thoughts are that it is a combination of the jets and needles that are causing the problems with it.

Ok makes sense, the PO had the entire stage 1 in there with cobra pipes, when I swapped out to the Holeshots I lowered the main to 155 minuki jets( he had the DJ 170's in there), so I'm left with stage 1 needles and I'm assuming springs...not sure how to determine if they are stock springs

I would install 147.5-150 mikuni mains, stock needles and either stock or the aftermarket springs.

Sean

I would install 147.5-150 mikuni mains, stock needles and either stock or the aftermarket springs.

Sean

Thanks for the info Sean. Based on what your saying I must be running a bit rich. Kinda excited to see how she'll run with those changes, damm I just got a bit excited over here :) Thanks again, email on its way to you.

My bike came with the stage 1 also from the p/o. Had this annoying hesitation/lag on the highway. My problem was the opposite....if you smashed the gas it was fine, but a slow roll-on resulted in a misfire/lag. After talking to Sean, Dynojet, and some "google research", I think the big problem of the stage 1 kit is the super small PAJ2 the kit comes with...it's a DJ150(like a 142 in standard size), where stock is a 170....quite a difference. My problem was the bike was running too rich.

I dropped the stage 1 needle to the fifth clip from the pointy end. That seems to have cleared it up, and my mileage has also never been better. Routinely 40mpg with the venture drive and moderate riding.

The kit sucks(when I was talking with some guy at Dynojet he even admitted they'd had lots of complaints/tuning problems. His first suggestion was to keep the kit's needle and mains, but put the stock PAJ2 back in(leans it out a bit). I didn't have the stock PAJ, so I dropped the needle to get the same effect. Difference is the PAJ has an effect on the entire RPM range, where the needle position is more midrange. Since my problem was exclusively in the 4-6k range, it worked out fine.

Ya know for the life of me I've had the carbs off the bike several times and I cant recall what my PAJ2's were, didnt even think the kit included changing them out. Damm, now I have to find out :)

The PAJ2 is the one jet that lives behind the slide diaphragm, you wouldn't have to remove the carbs to check/change it.

Yeah I know, I just thought its funny how considering how many times I've tore into these, that I should be able to remember what they were but then again I can't remember what I did last week :) Thanks for the advice though :)

Back