DIY blasting/powder coating

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonerdave

Reaction score
Someone close to me is selling a sand blasting cabinet and a powder coating system. I'm wondering if anyone does their own coating, and how easy it is to figure it out and do it properly. This might be a dumb question but can you use the same oven you cook food with to cure p/c? I guess I'm kind of looking to save a few bucks, but it is also a skill I would like to have. I enjoy doing whatever I can do by myself. What do you think? Bad idea?

There are a few books you can buy & from what I have read it does not sound to hard. As far as the oven you can use a reguler oven just not the one you eat out of.

Get an old nasty lime green oven off of craigslist. The seller will appreciate the $25.00 and having you haul it away, and you'll have a perfectly good, albeit very ugly, oven for cooking motorcycle parts.

That's a big NEGATIVE on using the same oven to cook!

A separate oven would be required, and that's more a less one of the "additional costs" you will run into.

I am considering getting into this myself once I buy the house I am going to live in for good.

Eastwood sells a cheaper DIY kit.

Here's a video on powdercoating from that hotrod show with the guy with the handle bar mustache!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS0LCiDaqUc

I say go for it - and you could even likely make a few bucks doing it!

I've already kicked the wife out of the garage and claimed the space as my OWN, so I should be able to find room for the setup anyway. If I do it, figure it out, and get some good results, I'll offer cheap amateur powder coating to anyone who wants to ship stuff to me ;)

just dont know if I can make room for an oven.

When I had my paintball shop, I used eastwood's gear to powdercoat.

I didn't use an oven, I ended up buying thier infra-red heating lamp.

If worked like a charm, then I just put it away when I was done.

you could do a variety of sizes with the lamp. I did the engine and the frame on my XS using the 10" lamp.

This is the lamp I used: http://www.eastwood.com/catalog/product/view/id/613/s/infrared-powder-curing-system/category/18/

I ended up selling my setup when I moved to St. Paul Island. I would like to save up for another.

Attachments

• 99Autococker.jpg
    99Autococker.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 19
  • MVC-004S.jpg
    MVC-004S.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 18
Huh - thats a neat idea. BTW as soon as my son is old enough we're getting some paintball equipment - fun stuff!

When I had my paintball shop, I used eastwood's gear to powdercoat.

I didn't use an oven, I ended up buying thier infra-red heating lamp.

If worked like a charm, then I just put it away when I was done.

you could do a variety of sizes with the lamp. I did the engine and the frame on my XS using the 10" lamp.

This is the lamp I used: http://www.eastwood.com/catalog/product/view/id/613/s/infrared-powder-curing-system/category/18/

I ended up selling my setup when I moved to St. Paul Island. I would like to save up for another.
Duh I already have an infrared lamp I use to bake my clearcoat when I paint bikes.

Used Clarke Blasting Cabinet (23 X 19 X 13)-great condition - $65
New Craftsman Powder Coating System from Ebay - $50 shipped
Used Kenmore electric oven from Craigslist - $50

All my own powder coating from now on....

First attempt:

Before:

IMG_7181.jpg

And After:

IMG_7188.jpg

The powder I used is called "Mirror Black". It looks wet. Very slick. I'll get some more pics up as I figure it out better

looks good. can u take a knife to it? all my p/c stuff i can take a knife too and it doesn't make a mark.

Nice! Been doing my own coating in the garage for about 6 yrs now. I've got the "lime green" oven someone mentioned earlier lol. It gets pretty tricky now and then on things like two tones with masking, and odd fucked up shape parts that suck to handle and hang. You'll have fun with it though. It definately kicks all kinds of ass over paint.

Back