Double D clutch question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tighten up the bolts until it hits bottom and then just a little snug past that. It's very obvious when they are all the way down.

Sean

You DO have to be careful when tightening thse bolts, not only because of threading into AL, but also some pretty flimsy cast 'posts'...

When I tighten these type bolts, I simply hold the socket & ratchet head in between my fingers, then twist my wrist, so I'm not applying any leverage to the 'arm' of the ratchet...Have been doing that with threads in AL for years, in cars & bikes, I get the bolt 'snugged up' nicely, get a pretty consistent 'torque', & have never stripped a thread that way yet...

(where's that pesky piece of wood...???...Knock, Knock!!!...LOL)

You DO have to be careful when tightening thse bolts, not only because of threading into AL, but also some pretty flimsy cast 'posts'...

When I tighten these type bolts, I simply hold the socket & ratchet head in between my fingers, then twist my wrist, so I'm not applying any leverage to the 'arm' of the ratchet...Have been doing that with threads in AL for years, in cars & bikes, I get the bolt 'snugged up' nicely, get a pretty consistent 'torque', & have never stripped a thread that way yet...

in this particular case, do you or would you, loc-tite the bolts (blue)? i've heard some guys do this. any reason not to?

ninjaneer sean told me i dident need to because its under pressure from the springs. I bought loc-tite blue. and he said if you do use the blue only use a drop of it. So thats what i did.

ninjaneer sean told me i dident need to because its under pressure from the springs. I bought loc-tite blue. and he said if you do use the blue only use a drop of it. So thats what i did.
AlrightyThen.jpg

Where have you been when I was broking dozen of them :rofl_200::rofl_200:

Serioulsy, those suckers like to broke - must have either good feeling or good torque wrench!

I've been lucky enough to not break any of these, yet.

I broke the post off of a clutch basket before though. This was back when I was a teenager and knew everything, LOL. I couldn't see spending the $20 for a "grabbit" tool. Figured I could just wedge something in there and loosen the nut. 30 seconds later I snapped a post off. OOPS! Ended up buying a new inner basket....and a grabbit tool. Live and learn.

Lucky here too. I use a short 1/4 drive rachet, a drop of blue locktite out of habbit too. Usually chuck the bolts after using them once. They're cheap enough at any hardware store. I do run a thread chaser through to clean the threads.
Steve

I've been luck enough to not break any of these, yet.

I broke the post off of a clutch basket before though. This was back when I was a teenager and knew everything, LOL. I couldn't see spending the $20 for a "grabbit" tool. Figured I could just wedge something in there and loosen the nut. 30 seconds later I snapped a post off. OOPS! Ended up buying a new inner basket....and a grabbit tool. Live and learn.
When staring out Mike, I to tended to over tighten everything. That was a while back too...lol

I've reached the unfortunate point in my life where I am slowing down my crazy ADHD fueled lifestyle, and have discovered that sometimes it is worthwhile taking a second to listen to what others have to say. :ummm:

I feel confortable doing up the vast majority of bolts one handed with a little 1/4" drive ratchet. Some of the bigger bolts I do up as tight as I can.

I used the word "unfortunate" because my guts have a much better idea of what is going on than my head, and stopping to think about what is the right thing to do isn't always that smart. It leads to second guessing myself, and deciding that I will check the book for torque settings, and reach for the tension wrench to check my work. SNAP! :bang head:

I'm so over second guessing myself, and taking the extra time! LOL
It turns out that when I was young and knew it all, maybe I did!!! :rofl_200:

I'm for doing a lot of things by the book, but not everything.Valuable short cut are available on this great forum. Torque wrenches are as good as they were when last calibrated. I have a Harbor Freight torque wrench to let the neibors and my brother borrow, but a Mac or three hidden away and another inch lb one. Threads have to be clean, both threads. It can take forever, or just get it tight! I can still hear the old mechanic I apprenticed with many years ago "tight is tight" he'd always say when asked. Today, I know what he meant. Don't crank it till it brakes ,but it better not looosen up either
29.gif

.Lil Jon's method works like a charm. I do like the old beam style type torque wrench still, when one is really needed. Not the bolts on my DD pressure plate that's for sure.
Steve-o

I've reached the unfortunate point in my life where I am slowing down my crazy ADHD fueled lifestyle, and have discovered that sometimes it is worthwhile taking a second to listen to what others have to say. :ummm:

I feel confortable doing up the vast majority of bolts one handed with a little 1/4" drive ratchet. Some of the bigger bolts I do up as tight as I can.

I used the word "unfortunate" because my guts have a much better idea of what is going on than my head, and stopping to think about what is the right thing to do isn't always that smart. It leads to second guessing myself, and deciding that I will check the book for torque settings, and reach for the tension wrench to check my work. SNAP! :bang head:

I'm so over second guessing myself, and taking the extra time! LOL
It turns out that when I was young and knew it all, maybe I did!!! :rofl_200:

For people that spend so much money on their bikes are you worried about a less than 50 dollar part?.

I have one big question. How in the hell are you guys getting away with spending $50 or less?!?!?!? My DD mod cost me over $5000!!!!! I tell you what, it was the best $5000 I ever spent! My wife was in bed for a week, but those puppies are fun to drive now!!!!!:th_SmileyBoobs:

I have one big question. How in the hell are you guys getting away with spending $50 or less?!?!?!? My DD mod cost me over $5000!!!!! I tell you what, it was the best $5000 I ever spent! My wife was in bed for a week, but those puppies are fun to drive now!!!!!:th_SmileyBoobs:

You got a bargain my DD's cost me 8k

Latest posts

Back