dropping the forks??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okievmax

Reaction score
I was gonna do the simple lower the forks in the trees. Money is tight and was just do a quick fix til i got money for springs. Anyways when i loosened the bolts to drop the forks they would not slide because of the air setup. Can i not do this if my bike is still setup for air? or am i just doing it wrong?

??? sound like your doing it wrong. maybe it's b/c of the year, but i don't think so.

lemme find a pic to will help the discussion

You have the old style forks with the air balance tube and cannot lower the forks in the triple trees. Only works with 93 or newer forks.

are you wanting to lower as part of a spring upgrade? or are you doing a spring upgrade for the sake of lowering? b/c for the price of a couple inches of PVC you can lower

you *could* in theory take the air correctors out and jb weld up (or similar) the holes right?

I did this simple lowering job on my 05 and rode it for a day, I couldn't wait to get back home to put them back to stock. A lot of people like it, I didn't like the feel at all, just saying........

you *could* in theory take the air correctors out and jb weld up (or similar) the holes right?

In theory you are correct. In practice I would be very leery of trusting some epoxy to hold any pressure. You could also probably put a plug in the hole that seats flush with the fork tube, but again it's a trust issue. Much safer to do it the right way and just buy a set of springs with a lowering kit. IMHO

We've plugged them with a set screw before but now we just weld them closed on any of the early forks we work on. Internal lowering is better but it can be done by sealing up those holes.

I did this simple lowering job on my 05 and rode it for a day, I couldn't wait to get back home to put them back to stock. A lot of people like it, I didn't like the feel at all, just saying........
Yea Chuck,I didn't like the feel of the front forks lowered eather.So i put them back where they were.The rear feels great lowered though,with 11 1/2 in shock's.:biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back