eBay carb diaphragms

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
The vendor in FL for these is a short distance from me in Miami (N Miami Beach) so today I paid him a visit. I got a pack of 4, I'll let you know how things turn-out. From searching on here, I already tried the "grind-off-the-metal-lip to separate the plastic washers & free the diaphragm." I have a stock set of carbs awaiting new diaphragms and a set being re-done which already are Dynojet Stage 7 but needed a couple of bodies, which I just happened to have lying-around.:biglaugh: They are being re-done by an employee of a well-known VMax business just-outside of the "Hurricane Sandy" storm-ravaged area, not too-far from 'RaWarrior.'

This is my assistant, she is always helping me w/my tools.

Attachments

• diaphragm.jpg
    diaphragm.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Mikuni girl.pdf
    179.4 KB · Views: 70
The vendor in FL for these is a short distance from me in Miami (N Miami Beach) so today I paid him a visit. I got a pack of 4, I'll let you know how things turn-out. From searching on here, I already tried the "grind-off-the-metal-lip to separate the plastic washers & free the diaphragm." I have a stock set of carbs awaiting new diaphragms and a set being re-done which already are Dynojet Stage 7 but needed a couple of bodies, which I just happened to have lying-around.:biglaugh: They are being re-done by an employee of a well-known VMax business just-outside of the "Hurricane Sandy" storm-ravaged area, not too-far from 'RaWarrior.'

This is my assistant, she is always helping me w/my tools.

Said 'employee' is a magician with vmax carbs! You will be pleased. :clapping:

Uh....I'm looking for a good assistant, she got any sisters? :ummm:

Ah Dan-o you don't wanna get stuck with the wrong sis! She could be fat, old and ugly.

I think we're looking for some clones, minus the clothes ;-P

What are you referring to when speaking of grinding? I picked up a set of the eBay diaphragm about a year ago. Didn'thave to grind anything to install. Just silicon grease and wd40.

Medic,
Please post your findings of those new diaphrams after you have had a chance to evaluate them. I'm interested what the quality issues, if any, are. How much were they?..................

I put those in my set of carbs I sold. Ran them for 2 years with about 9K miles on them and they worked great.

Yeah, Sorry, haven't had a chance to install them yet. The quality seems to be there in the product. Family care issues have taken precedence, trying to get to the diaphragms. I did get word the DJ Stage 7 carbs re-worked will be heading my way soon, already test-run. I told him, "don't need them right-away," so he's taking-advantage of that.

The new diaphragms will be going into a set of carbs my friend and mechanic, Steve, at Under Pressure in Dania Beach FL will be re-assembling. You should have a spare set of mixers to go w/each VMax you own!

Sorry I haven't been able to do anything sooner. They surely beat buying new slides!

I've put 2 seasons on these now and would use them again. The rubber is a little more rigid than OEM's. To compensate I tied 3 coils back on my diaphragm springs. I worked them off with wd-40, feeler gauges, and a tiny screw driver. Putting them on I stretched them a little and tucked them all the way in with feeler gauges again. Some have had luck splitting the slides and gluing them back together. A few guy have cracked the slides using that method.
This is a cost effective replacement for sure. At the time they were about $100 shipped from an E-Bay vendor.
Steve-o

I've put 2 seasons on these now and would use them again. The rubber is a little more rigid than OEM's. To compensate I tied 3 coils back on my diaphragm springs. I worked them off with wd-40, feeler gauges, and a tiny screw driver. Putting them on I stretched them a little and tucked them all the way in with feeler gauges again. Some have had luck splitting the slides and gluing them back together. A few guy have cracked the slides using that method.
This is a cost effective replacement for sure. At the time they were about $100 shipped from an E-Bay vendor.
Steve-o

Two methods from our members contributions. I tried both and had better luck w/the grinding than w/Joe's (alorio1):

http://www.youtube.com/embed/e_LpxYHi5Zg?feature=player_embedded
(from a sticky by hubeerjw)

(from a post by alorio1)
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=19788&highlight=carb+diaphragm+replacement

Soak slides fully submerged in WD 40 overnight to loosen glue. Then instead of using a screwdriver to knock slide loose from diaphragm holder, I use a deep well 3/8 drive socket with a 6 inch extension to drive the slide loose from diaphragm holder instead of a screwdriver which is where most people's failure comes into play. When using a deep well socket inserted into slide, you get even forces 360 degrees around the slide instead of just a sharp screwdriver which will inevitably break the brittle slide component. I don't remove needle from slide because using a deep well socket fits over the screw (needle holder assy) inside the slide. I also use a metal pipe, which happened to be the top rail of a chain link fence I took down and cut off about 6 inches of pipe that I insert slide into while I drive slide away from diaphragm holder. The bottom of pipe is stuffed with a single paper towel to soften the fall when the slide drops from diaphragm holder. I use a very small hammer to tap slide loose from holder, usually with a couple of small taps you can see a gap between slide and washers and the rest can be done by hand to finish disassemble. After disassembly I take the aluminum holder to the bench wheel and clean glue residue with wire brush side of grinder, you can also use a piece of fine sand paper to clean glue reside off. After you get holder clean the use a fine piece of sand paper to clean residue from inside the slide, ideally you want to be able to push holder into slide with very little resistance. Reassemble slide and new diaphragm making sure washers are all facing the right direction. I tack glue new diaphragm to washer that has grove in it to keep the diaphragm centered during reassembly. Use oil or petroleum resistant glue of your choice to reassemble (DO NOT USE GORILLA GLUE) . I use Devcon metal filler glue which dries in 45 seconds so I have to work fast to have everything in place fast. After applying glue (to aluminum holder only) I insert the holder into slide by hand, making sure it is going in square and not the least bit crooked. I then place slide on a solid flat wooden surface and with the same deep well socket I used on disassembly I place it on the bottom side of the slide and give it a couple of small taps to tighten up washers around newly installed diaphragm. I then use a small screw driver to clean away any glue residue that may have oozed out.
Attached Thumbnails

I'm glad this has been brought-up as it has made me decide to 'get on the stick' and finish the re-do my slides.

Latest posts

Back