emergency

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidon

Reaction score
stuck in CT. in bristol. luckily made it to o hotel because its pouring right now. twice bike slowly lost power recently while cruising and after hitting a bump in the road. this is first long trip using thr COPS set up..wondering if these come loose easily. other thing is after rolling to a stop..i can start bike in neutral right away but when i engage gear it cuts out. kept doing this..finally let it sit for five minutes and then it was ok. ideas? do cops overheat or is this unrelated? 7039015290

hey man, never heard of COPS overheating since they work in so many other applications, i would be concerned about maybe the cops grounding to the cylinder head. are they denso's? resistors?

It sounds like it's something with your starting cutoff circuit. Check wire going into neutral switch on left side. Also, engage clutch lever while putting into gear to see if that makes a difference. Check sidestand switch and relay too.

It sounds like it's something with your starting cutoff circuit. Check wire going into neutral switch on left side. Also, engage clutch lever while putting into gear to see if that makes a difference. Check sidestand switch and relay too.

+1

I had a similar situation with my venture. It turned out to be a bum neutral switch. when it got wet it would act stupid, let it dry off a little it would be normal.

I had a similar problem of it slowly dying while cruising hard and then wouldn't restart, didn't crank. Waited a couple minutes and it started. Done this like 5 times in a row. I never knew what it was. Its working fine now. I would say some RR overheating probably, dry weather...

COPS are more sensitive to voltage than standard coils...I figured this one out the hard way and NO it does not sound the same as our symptoms.

simply put the cops are great until they dont go no mo.... dead in the water.... and you are pushing.

in my case the generator was marginal and the voltage would drop just a bit after about an hour cruise. once the voltage drops .... spark stops. the battery tested out ok until I tested while under load and then I could see it was not fully up to charge. I replaced the alternator and have not had a problem since.

just to be clear there was nothing gradual about it.... its all or nothin'.

I would start with side stand switch - try to bypass it. It is 2 wires, connect them together to bypass. If that does not work, than look a neutral switch.

Good luck.

Mike

I would start with side stand switch - try to bypass it. It is 2 wires, connect them together to bypass. If that does not work, than look a neutral switch.

Good luck.

Mike

Same thing I'm thinking....I know what you rode through, we got it too! The bottom 1/4 of your bike would have been pretty much submerged in that downpour! Could have easily gotten inside the sidestand switch.

I'm only 75 miles from you, if you want to bring it here and put it on my lift let me know....I've got a truck & trailer, transportation no problem.

Same thing I'm thinking....I know what you rode through, we got it too! The bottom 1/4 of your bike would have been pretty much submerged in that downpour! Could have easily gotten inside the sidestand switch.

I'm only 75 miles from you, if you want to bring it here and put it on my lift let me know....I've got a truck & trailer, transportation no problem.

what a guy!

Good luck.

Mike

+1 for the stand switch. you said you let it for five minutes and then it was ok. in this five minutes did you get off the bike. cause if you did you open your stand and closed it when you got on again. a little wd-40 in the switch i thing will solve the problem. it may have become sticky and does not open when you close the stand

sixteen hours later and i finally made it up. i am thinking two possibilities. RR or sketchy cut off switch. rain was not a factor..both times i lost power was during cruising in dry weather after hitting a bump in the road. voltage was fine before power cut out. i am thinking the bump somehow is causing a split second power cut off which is causing a slow die off. is this plausable? i dont understand why it would not start in gear one moment and then be fine five minutes later when nothing was touched so i dont think it is switch related.

MAN This has to be the awesomest forum. Members are always willing to go a long ways to lend a hand :worthy:

sixteen hours later and i finally made it up. i am thinking two possibilities. RR or sketchy cut off switch. rain was not a factor..both times i lost power was during cruising in dry weather after hitting a bump in the road. voltage was fine before power cut out. i am thinking the bump somehow is causing a split second power cut off which is causing a slow die off. is this plausable? i dont understand why it would not start in gear one moment and then be fine five minutes later when nothing was touched so i dont think it is switch related.

ok so if there is a cut off for a sec after hitting a bumb .... you have to check some plugs in you electrical . some electrical circuits if there is a cut off for a sec (example kill switch) after power comes back you here your exhaust making a sound like a barret 50 mm gun and if it is night maybe fire will come out. so you it is something to start with. check your rr with a multymeter if it has the right ohms (dont have right now the manual with me to tell you the numbers) the ignition box plugs.
when this occured did you noticed if any of the other elecrical stuff kept working (tacho, lights e.t.c) cause if they did then your search will be easier for you. did your tacho went to zero at once or kept the readings of your engine. i know it was for a just a second and you couldnt notice much but it would be helpfull

also you should check the diode under the tacho which is responsible for starting the bike with a gear in. mine had a problem and had a lot time to start with gear in
this is the diode

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-Y...0552962QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Danny...thanks for offer...i did finally make it ..see previous post. George..yes i think everything was working fine when power loss occured..exhaust did sound like it was sputtering until it died.

sure is a nice dude for offering the extra hand. someone send this guy a crate of NE best iced cream :th_party33:

Another question...Im noticing on my voltmeter that holding steady at about 80 the needle does not hold steady but flucutuates between 14 -13.5 V. I dont think i remember it doing this before. is this another loose connection or is the RR to blame?

Back