Emulators or Intimidators

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spursmech

Reaction score
:ummm: Hey, Just wondering what you guys think works best. I'm waiting for my spare front end parts to be Chromed and thought I'd order the parts to fix the operation of stock 85 forks. Have read alot about both mods but wonder which one works best. Also can't find any info for Vmax on Racetechs site? Thanks, Spur

:ummm: Hey, Just wondering what you guys think works best. I'm waiting for my spare front end parts to be Chromed and thought I'd order the parts to fix the operation of stock 85 forks. Have read alot about both mods but wonder which one works best. Also can't find any info for Vmax on Racetechs site? Thanks, Spur
Racetech has info on the max under : cruisers , VMX 1200 , year . You will still need to call (951 ) 279-6655 , as they have several ? s you need to answer for them to recommend the correct set of springs / emulators for your weight, style of riding , etc. I was told by an old pro to take 15 lbs. off my true weight in order to get the springs ( not too harsh ) right. It worked as I told them I weighed 200 when I was 215-220 at the time. I'm 190 now but the ride is still great. I also upgraded rear shocks , 17 " wheels & radials at the same time , so the combo really helped it handle better , but it's still not a sport bike.

Here's my opinion of each set up - It's from another thread when I first installed the ricor's;

Here's my opinion on the Ricor Intiminators. So far I have only put on about 150 miles on the new set up on my 2006 max.

Old setup;

Progressive springs with about 60,000 miles on them
Racetech Gold Valve Emulators
15wt Silkonene fork oil
Jedi's Fork brace/clamp
1 1/2" drop in the triple trees
Aftermarket fork brace

New setup;

Same old progressive springs
Ricor Intiminators
5wt Amsoil Synthetic oil
Jedi's fork brace/clamp
3/4" drop in triple trees
Aftermarket fork brace

Now keep in mind that the roads in Sudbury are very bad from frost heaving and poor maintenance.

First ride impression was that the front suspension felt very different from the old set up. The old fork springs didn't seem to be an issue anymore. With the Ricor's, small imperfections in the roads pretty much disappear. Riding over large potholes, manholes cut the jarring effect in half. Also, I could not bottom the forks out on any bump - where i could on the old set up. Cornering fells more stable and sure then the old set up too.

The other thing that I noticed and was hoping for, is that the Progressive 440's with the Ricor IAS (Intiminators) and the new setup in the front end work very well together - much better than with the old set up.

Another big benefit of the Intiminators is that they are very easy to install versus the Racetech. No drilling of the damper rod, etc... just change oil, shorten the spacer tube by a 1/2" and drop them in and that's it - no disassembly after to adjust the Intiminators. For the Racetech, I had to take them out three times to adjust them before I was happy with them - what a pain in the ass.

Overall, I am very happy I made this mod and with all the mods that I made to the suspension - front and back - definitely makes the max ride like a modern bike versus an 80's era bike.

Thanks Rollie, but I can't find one reference to Vmax on their site. I just sent them an email and will follow up with a call. So you used the emulators on you 90 max front end? No problems with install or fit? Thanks, Spur :ummm:

Hey Maxcruiser, that's the kind of info I was looking for. I've got everything apart so no problem there. Did you replace the seals everytime you made adjustments to the Racetecks? I agree that would be a pain. GREAT DETAIL IN THE EXPLANATION. Thanks, Spur:punk:

Mike, I have the Ricors ready to be installed. I have progressive springs w/ 2" drop and was thinking I'd like to just drop the intiminators in without changing anything other than the oil weight. Is that doable?

Hey Maxcruiser, that's the kind of info I was looking for. I've got everything apart so no problem there. Did you replace the seals everytime you made adjustments to the Racetecks? I agree that would be a pain. GREAT DETAIL IN THE EXPLANATION. Thanks, Spur:punk:

No, replaced them when I first took the forks apart when I drilled the damper rods - the emulator is a drop in, so no need to touch the seals.

Mike

Mike, I have the Ricors ready to be installed. I have progressive springs w/ 2" drop and was thinking I'd like to just drop the intiminators in without changing anything other than the oil weight. Is that doable?

Yes sir! it's as easy as that!

Mike

So, would I end up with a 1 1/2" drop Vs the 2" drop I have now? That's what I want to end up with anyways, I didn't do the lowering spring install so I'm a bit confused with the fork internals. I won't be after this winter though!:punk:

Thanks Mike, so the emulator sits in the same position as the intiminators do? What did you do to the holes you drilled in your damper? Steve

Thanks Mike, so the emulator sits in the same position as the intiminators do? What did you do to the holes you drilled in your damper? Steve

They both sit in the same position - left the dampers as is - Ricor stated that it would not make a difference.

Mike

So, would I end up with a 1 1/2" drop Vs the 2" drop I have now? That's what I want to end up with anyways, I didn't do the lowering spring install so I'm a bit confused with the fork internals. I won't be after this winter though!:punk:

If you drop in the intiminators and don't cut your spacer tubes by a 1/2" it will affect your sag - depending what the sag is set at now, it may or may not affect the fork performance.

Mike

Thanks Mike, that helps. I'll see how the sag works out and go from there. I can only hope the new fork set up works as good as my 440's are working out. I'm gonna have some tuning to do once riding weather hits.

Thanks Rollie, but I can't find one reference to Vmax on their site. I just sent them an email and will follow up with a call. So you used the emulators on you 90 max front end? No problems with install or fit? Thanks, Spur :ummm:
Vmax is listed as " vmx1200 " under their cruisers section. Yeah, I put them on the blue '90 with no problems on the fit or install. Just take your time , follow the directions you get with the springs / emulator kit , call 'em if you have a question. I have no experience with the intimidators , so can't give you a comparison there , but I wouldn't change mine to anything different at this time 'cause of the major difference they made on the '90 . I am changing out the stock front end on the cf '98 to a USD Kaw. zx7r and am looking forward to testing the two at the Gap or some N.GA. twisties real soon.:eusa_dance:

Attachments

• DSC00405.jpg
    DSC00405.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC00410.jpg
    DSC00410.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC00402.jpg
    DSC00402.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 22
Thanks Rollie, thats good information to know. I sent Racetech an email and will call today. Thanks Again, Spur

Hey Brian, Mike is right. The sag or preload on your springs will change but your ride height will not be altered by the work you are doing. You would have to tear the forks apart, remove the damper rods, and change the spacer or lowering springs down there to alter ride height.

Thanks Rollie, thats good information to know. I sent Racetech an email and will call today. Thanks Again, Spur

What were you trying to find out? I call them pretty regularly. The number is 951 279 6655. Extension 9 will get you to Lewie.

:punk:Did not hear back from either company today. Too busy to call but will get to it tomorrow. Does anyone know about this 50% off sale? Thanks all for your help, Spur

:punk:Mike, Do you think your front end works better now with the intiminators because you drilled your damper for the emulators. Those larger holes mean you may not need to use the 5 weight oil? Just a thought since I have mine all apart I think I'll drill them for the emulators. That way I won't have to tear it back apart if I go with emulators later. Ricor has a 20% off now if you type holidays in the discount box. Thanks, Spur

Latest posts

Back